Chapter 35

My fingers pulled at the hem of my shirt nervously

My fingers pulled at the hem of my shirt nervously. When Master Saki and Lord Zuko arrived, Saki requested to see me. Alone. Although she didn't glare at me like her husband and children did, she still made me extremely nervous.

What would she do? Yell, scream and be just as unforgiving as her granddaughter.

The door slowly opened, revealing the old woman. "My apologies for keeping you waiting."

Standing to my feet, I bow respectively. "It's alright, Master Saki" I whisper. The night air was a cool relief as she joined me on the steps on the temple.

"Please, just call me Saki" the woman smiles.

"Why did you wish to speak to me?"

Sighing, she rubs her temples. "I hate to see my best friend's family fight my own" she frowns. "My friendship with your Grandmother took time. I think it took her helping me give birth to truly form our friendship."

"We wanted the same boy. Leinani and I" I sigh. "He and I were together, but Leinani wanted to rekindle and old flame."

Chuckling, Saki looks off towards the darkening window. "How I miss such simple problems. But I think you already know what I really want to talk about, Dakota."

"Listen, I'm so s-"

Interrupting me, she rests her hand over mine. "I've heard how sorry you are Dakota, but saying sorry won't fix what you've put yourself in. I was even younger than you when I discovered I had bloodbending."

"You did?" I ask, flabbergasted. Aunt Katara had the ability, but never talked about it.

She nodded. "It was after Ursa had returned to the pal-"

"Dakota!" Bolin cried out, joining us outside. "I went to tell Asami about your return! Then I went to the prison to tell Mako the same and when I came back you were gone!"

"Mako's in prison?!" I ask, but his babbling continues as he joins Saki and me.

"Oh my!" Bolin breathes. "Y-You're Master S-Saki! It's such an honor!"

"This is Bolin" I sigh, my cheeks red with embarrassment.