Chapter 52 - Encampment (I)

Aloha, guten Tag everyone!

I'm back! Yes, you heard it right! If you want to have more information regarding the how's and why's, I made a post on my profile, please go there :D

I hope you'll still like the story, even though it's been ages since my last update. I also hope you'll be satisfied by my writing. I don't know why, but I feel like I've changed my style quite a bit, perhaps, maybe

( ̄ー ̄;

Anyways, here's the chapter!!

______________________________________

We arrived in the middle of an army camp, with big and small tents in different greenish colours all around the small plaza. The moment the light from the teleportation magic faded away, we were already surrounded by a large crowd of soldiers and occasionally an adventurer.

I stood in place, taking in the many unknown faces when a single person, who seemed to be the leader of the army camp pushed his way through the encirclement.

"Dear adventurers, how are you? I welcome you in our small encampment"

The man, with short brown hair and deep, brown eyes made a small bow while smiling. The joy on his lips wasn't revealed on the rest of his face, which seemed to be struck by intense fatigue.

Looking around again, I saw that many of the soldiers had an equally tired demeanor.

I fixated on the man again and tried to immediately get to the core of the problem.

"Thank you for having us. How long has the front been in a standstill?"

Not expecting my straight approach, the man looked to be in a bit of a daze, while a low murmur broke out among the soldiers.

"It's been over three weeks already", he said eventually.

"Mmm... I see. Can you inform me a bit more about the situation?"

"Yes, of course", the man looked to be quite happy and worry seemed to dispel from his face," Please follow me to a more quiet location"

"Let's go"

I started to walk in the direction the man walked into, when suddenly a girl appeared in front of me. She had hazelnut-coloured hair tied into a ponytail, with some loose strands hanging in front of her eyes, which were a combination of green and grey and rather oval, similar to a cat's. It was the same girl who watched as I got beaten in the past, and the same girl who did nothing while I was insulted.

The sudden appearance of my former classmate, which I didn't notice as I hadn't yet checked my surroundings using my skills, caught me off-guard.

"Excuse me, but... "

The girl, who abruptly had stepped into my way seemed to shrink away into the crowd again as she lost her courage. The moment she was trying to continue her sentence, all surrounding soldiers and adventurers started to shout.

"Get the f*ck out of the way, demi b*tch!"

"What're you blocking his way for?!"

"Get lost!"

The clamor immediately filled the entire encampment, visibly paining the girl as she tried to get as small as possible. It was clear as daylight it wasn't the first time this kind of discrimination happened, seeing the vicious reactions of the men and women around.

I exuded some of my magic power to activate [Demoralizing Shout] and to amplify my voice.

"Shut up"

As soon as my words left my mouth, a heavy aura pressed down at everyone around me, physically pressing everyone down.

Almost every single face in the camp drained of colour and exuded pure shock. It was a display of power they had never witnessed before.

The girl, who was not included in the effects of the pressure was scared witless by the simultaneous collapsing of several hundred men.

"Talk"

"Euhm..." she seemed to be hesitant before recollecting her courage.

"My name's Sarah, but you knew that already, didn't you? You're Toru right?"

I expected as much. She recognized me. I looked into her eyes and was prepared to see sympathy or even contempt, but the only thing filling my vision was a look of hope and desperation.

It confused me. It wasn't supposed to be like this. Each and every one of my classmates was guilty of either bullying me or doing nothing at all while watching me get bullied. I should hate them, loath them or at least be angry with them.

Yet I couldn't bring myself to feel like that with this girl. Still, I didn't have any good feelings towards her either.

I recomposed myself.

"I can tell you this much"

I started to walk again and in a few simple steps, I stood next to Sarah.

Without any warning I released my magic power, creating a vortex of magic power running rampant all around me. The vortex blew onto the surrounding tents, shaking them aggressively. The pressure on the soldiers got even heavier, pressing them onto the ground, while Sarah fell over, her face as white as a sheet.

My voice was calm.

"I'm not the one you think I am".

I released all my magic power at once and signed at the shook officer who had received us to get up and point us the way. He got up shakily and marched forward in a fast pace.

Following him, I absent-mindedly touched the horns on my head.

"No... Not anymore"