Chapter Twenty

10/6/17

~*~
Friday

(9:50 A.M)

I sat back in the seat as we drove down a long, gravel road. It was partly overgrown, with grass creeping up through the gravel and blackberries crowding among the trees on the sides of the driveway.

We were mere minutes away from the fire. Our first test.

I closed my eyes and sighed.

"The worst will be over soon. You'll enjoy the weekend, I promise."

"The worst?" I repeated.

"Well, the first meeting. After that, she'll just treat you like you're family."

"What's going to be so bad about the first meeting?" I asked, opening my eyes.

He shook his head. "Only what you'll make of it. Meeting a stranger is always the worst part." He shrugged. "She'll probably love you immediately."

"Why?" I asked.

"Because-" he hesitated then pressed his lips together. "She's just that kind of person."

I smirked. "Were you going to say something else?"

He shot me a quick glance, then shook his head. The car lurched slightly as it came to a stop. "Well... we're here."

I shot up in my seat, looking up at the house as it loomed over me.

Link sighed. "Really, it's not the lair of a supervillain," he said.

"What makes you say that?" I tore my eyes off of the house and looked at him.

"You look intimidated."

"I am."

"Just pretend they're your parents."

I looked over at him and raised an eyebrow. "That would not help."

Link shook his head again. "Sorry, I didn't mean your actual parents." He folded his arms, biting his lip. "I meant... what parents are supposed to be."

"And that is?" I asked.

"Kind, supportive, accepting, loving. Wants what's best for you?"

I looked down at my hands.

Link sighed. "They are incredibly nice people, so just... open up your heart and I promise you'll enjoy their company."

"Open my..." I started, but Link had already gotten out of the car.

He walked around and opened my door. Leaning down, he said the next words quickly. "And don't think of it as a test. Let it be like we have been, and it'll be fine."

His words came as a close and quiet whisper, and I looked past him to see that the front door was open.

He leaned back and held out his hand, and I took it so he could help me out of the car.

"Big brother!" a girl's voice called, and then I felt a rush of air as a blur flew into Link.

He staggered back with a huff, but his smile was wide. "Aryll," he greeted with a chuckle. "Nice to see you too." Link patted her on the head and then untangled himself from her arms.

"So this is Zelda?" Aryll wasted no time in asking as she turned away from Link.

"No, I forgot to pick her up and this lady needed a ride," he replied, his voice heavy with sarcasm.

I pressed my lips together so I wouldn't laugh. I held out my hand. "Nice to meet you."

Aryll ignored my hand and went straight for a hug.

My eyes widened as the arms trapped me with affection. Open my heart... I smiled and put my arms around Aryll in return. I suppose that wouldn't be so bad...

Aryll leaned back but kept her hands on my shoulders. "Link refused to send me a picture of you, so I had no idea what you looked like!"

I glanced over at him. "Oh? Why refuse?" I asked with a smirk.

"Because it was none of her business what you looked like. She was going to see for herself anyways..."

I laughed. "Well, Aryll, you've seen me now. Is the dream gone?"

"No way! You are gorgeous!" she said excitedly.

"Yes, she is," Link replied as he dusted Aryll's hands off my shoulders. "But it's cold. Let's go inside, shall we?" he said as he took my hand.

Link pulled me after him, a little numb and overwhelmed by the proceedings. No part of me felt cold. He had called me gorgeous so casually it had thrown me off guard.

But... I didn't need a guard here.

I didn't have to fake anything.

As we entered the warm house my nose immediately presented me with the most amazing array of scents in the world. Glaze, spices, candles; home. It smelled like a home. So far from the cold, empty feeling of my own parent's fortress.

Link let go of my hand and I actually stumbled a step when he was gone.

Don't leave me! I thought, but relaxed when I saw he was only taking a few steps into the kitchen to hug someone.

"Grandma, this is Zelda," he introduced, his arm around the kind looking woman.

That's your grandma? She doesn't look any older than my mother! But... Link had said she was almost seventy.

I broke into a real smile and stepped into the kitchen. A place that I felt I never belonged, yet the woman's own smile was so inviting I had to come closer.

"My dear, you are so very welcome here," she said, taking my hand to press it between both of hers. "Link has not ceased to shut up about you for a month," she grinned.

"Grandma-" Link started to hiss.

"Don't mind him," she said, knocking against him with her hip. "He's always been shy."

I had to stop myself from laughing. It was immensely difficult. "Shy?" I repeated, glancing over at the boy rubbing his side with great amusement in my eyes. "I find that hard to imagine. Though I've yet to see him in a real social event."

His grandma looked interested at that. "You don't go on dates?" she asked.

I smiled and shook my head. "No, I generally prefer to stay in. I don't have much time apart from writing."

Grandma smiled and nodded. "Ah, your writing... Link told me about how you met."

I glanced at him. "Did you, now?" What fantastic tale did you weave?

"Came into his shop at night and asked if you could write there."

Oh, well... that actually is what happened.

"And that every day you came in, he liked you more and more."

"Oh Grandma, don't you have some bacon that needs to be flipped over there?"

The older lady looked over at him and pursed her lips. "You're such a shy boy..." she simpered "...get over it." My new best friend walked back to the stove.

Link grabbed my hand and guided me out of the kitchen.

"Did you really tell her that?" I asked softly.

Link nodded reluctantly. His face looked red.

My pulse quickened. "... did you mean it?"

He looked over at me, his mouth open slightly.

"Link, my boy!" A huge hand landed on Link's shoulder and the jolt tore him away from my grip.