Chapter 54

Ever since you've known Bucky things have never run smoothly for you two. Something always seems to go wrong. Even when something good does happen something bad always seems to have to come along and ruin it too. In fact even when he proposed to you is a perfect example. Although it was sweet and turned out fine, it was far from perfect.

You take off your apron and hang it up, ready to get out of here as quickly as possible. You've been looking forward to this afternoon for days now. You took the early shift so that you have the afternoon free and you can't wait to pick up Luke early from daycare and then blob out all afternoon.

But just as you go to leave you spot a fresh tray of milk bottles sitting on a rickety old shelf where it's not meant to be.

"Ugh dammit the stupid delivery guys must've put it there." You mutter to yourself as you try and reach up to grab it.

However right when you nearly have it the shelf collapses, the whole tray falls on your hand, crushing your finger. Not only that but of course the milk bottles smash to causing milk to splash all over you.

You yelp in pain and gasp in shock at the same time while you stand frozen, your jaw dropped open and your hands raised in fright.

"What was that?" Another waitress exclaims as she comes running over to you. "Oh! Oh my god! (Y/N) are you okay?" She asks.

"Yep," you say sharply as you start to wipe the milk out of your eyes. "I'm fine. I'm absolutely great."

"Do you want me to get you a change of clothes?" She asks worriedly.

"Nope. No. I'm okay. Just a towel would be great thanks," you say fed up as you try to shake it off your hands but you can't help but think how much it hurts your finger.

She quickly rushes to get you a towel and then you wipe as much of the gross liquid off of you as you can. What a fantastic start to your afternoon.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She asks again hesitantly.

"I hurt my finger but other than that I'll survive," you say still annoyed.

"Oh boy, you better look at getting that fixed up before Bucky proposes! That's you're ring finger!" She exclaims.

"Pffft. That'll never happen." You scoff.

Seriously, you love Bucky but he just isn't really a hopeless romantic. He's the type of guy that would say 'we don't need to get married to show that we love each other'.

You sigh once you think you're done cleaning yourself up as best as possible. "Well, I'm off to get Luke now."

The other waitresses smile timidly at you knowing that you're now in a bad mood.

As you walk to Luke's school you notice how bad your finger hurts. It's constantly throbbing and hot to touch and you can't move it without tears springing to your eyes.

When you pick Luke up things don't get much better. Unlike usual, he toddles up to you with a weird look on his face.

"Mumma what wrong with your hair?" He frowns. "Why's it wet?"

Confused you lift a hand up to touch it and find that your hair is still absolutely caked with sticky milk.

"It's a long story Luke. Lets just get you home." You huff and take his hand with your good one to lead him home.

"Mummy you smell funny," he says and screws up his face on the way.

"I know thanks baby." You internally groan. "Like I said it's a long story."