Fourteen

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Ceci

I get that SERIAL is like work.

The format is interesting. A throwback to the golden era of radio.

Modern take, nobody reads anymore, but they all still love a good story.

Jack

And we may have a good story.

But serious, what about this boy soap?

If I had a big date with you, I might buy as many as 3 bars of soap. But my son, a 16 year-old boy, bought 6 bars of soap with his own money! SIX!

Six bars, must be a very special lady.

And Happy 4/20!! The weed freaks abound in Boulder.

Joe was supposed to appear with me in Court at 9am. It's 10:15 and he's still not here, and not answering calls or texts....

The Court appearance is routine, a probation violation on misdemeanor harassment.

No big deal, but if he fails to appear, a bench warrant will be issued for his arrest.

While I pace the hallways of the Courthouse, fill my veins with the vinegar of anxiety, and stare out the entrance like a dog waiting for his master, I'll share some of the details of Joe's Court file:

February 1st, I am appointed to Joe's case by Judge Richard David. I was Court appointed because the Public Defender representing both Joe and Carmen Solaria (same Carmen), created a conflict of interest.

According to Joe's arrest warrant, on July 3, 2015, Carmen, Joe, and others were in Blackhawk, Colorado, a casino town.

Police responded to a 911 call about a car break-in. In a parking garage, police met with Carmen who told them that on the main floor of a casino, her "ex-boyfriend Joe" was yelling at her, "SUCK MY DICK!" She said she tried to walk away from him, and that they had been "dating for approximately six months".

Police then spoke to Carmen's friend Suzanne Willis who told police Joe kept approaching random people in the casino and telling them that Carmen was a prostitute and would "suck their cocks."

Suzanne and Carmen tried to walk away. Joe followed them. Carmen and Suzanne got into a friend's car. Joe tried to climb into the car. They resisted. At some point, Joe gave up and split.

The owner of the car, Allison Rohm, told police she did not want to go forward with car trespass charges.

Police looked for Joe and found him at a slot machine in the Isle of Pleasure Casino. Joe identifies himself to police. Police report that Joe says he is "innocent and she is not", that "she is a prostitute!" And he "kept telling us he is innocent." During the interview, Lawrence (Larry) Vonway approached police and said he was a former friend of Joe and had heard Joe tell Carmen "suck my cock". Police arrest Joe for misdemeanor harassment of Carmen, as he is searched, a small plastic bag of meth is found in his right front pocket. A felony possession charge is added.

Jack

Eleven-fucking-thirty (11:30)! Joe's still not here for Court.

It is not clear who represented Joe on that case, presumably the Public Defender. Records show that on December 8, 2015, Joe pleads guilty to misdemeanor harassment, and possession of drugs, a class one drug misdemeanor. He is sentenced to 18 months of probation. His probation is violated when he is arrested for car theft alleged by the Johannsson brothers in early 2016 (This is also when Darren J. told Mary he dug up "the gun Bobby used to kill those two hookers").

So, in February 2016, the Court appoints me to his probation violation case. We bring him in for an interview. He discloses the buried hookers.

My texting thumbs are sore.

It's noon and Joe is still missing.

The Judge just issued a bench warrant for his arrest, but stayed the warrant till Tuesday. Extremely rare to stay a warrant like that. Rare as in I have never seen that in 22 years. It's probably due to the fact that this Judge is a stone-cold sweetheart. No lie. He's the same guy who beat me out for the County Court judgeship. But even I have to admit he's a sweetheart. Maybe the only one in the state.

Anyway he stayed the warrant, so we have to find Joe and drag his ass into Court, dead or alive. This missing client shit may build up suspense for the reader, but in real life, it is a pain in the ass.

[Photo: Arrest Warrant-REDACTED]

I was also going to take a short video of Kelly Thatcher to document her unswaying gait, like a Roman soldier, like a Lego figure. But an unauthorized video, in Court, of a District Attorney's walk-away would be ethically problematic.

Ceci

That's kind of a movie star name.

Jack

Got an idea for mega distribution. Publisher collects the reader's money and sends our whole book to their phone as a text. Eureka, man!!

Movie star name. I'll tell her. For a DA, she's okay, better than most. On holidays she slyly wears a trace of colors for the season. So slight it's almost like a secret code. Around Easter one year, I noticed some subliminal purple and green themes in her accessories. I called her on it, and she gave up the whole scheme and how she smuggles secret holiday accents into the Court. She still mentions that I broke the code.

Whatever. She still gives me the same deals as everyone else.

Jack

We made a million calls, emails, and texts to find Joe.

No answer. No clue. No Joe. Gone.

Ceci

He doesn't want to start all the official Court business.

Police probably pick him up on a traffic violation.

I'm sure he's getting messed up.

You guys have a house of cards here.

It's on fifteen acres.

Jack

God, I hope you're right and he's just on the run. Or just an idiot.

You know I sent him out to look for Whitewolf.

What did you think about their antics in Blackhawk and the casinos?

Ceci

I think the casino is probably a good place to drum up "escort" business.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Jack

(5:06 A.M. Colorado Time)

Just woke up. Had a weird violent dream. I never have dreams.

In my car now. I'm driving to the crime scene. 

The grave.

Joe's Barn...

[Vote⭐ for going to the scene of the crime!]

Photo: Time Management by Geralt, 2019 (Pixabay # 3222267).