Daughter-in-law

Chapter 22

Ella's P.O.V:

After almost twenty minutes of Kane giving halting directions between Mony and his teasing conversation I pulled into a large driveway. It wasn't large enough to suggest they're hiding a few million dollars in there, but it was certainly bigger than our pathetic, little one.

I gave Kane an uncertain look as I pulled the keys from the ignition. Kane smiled and nodded reassuringly at me. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before turning to Mony with a practiced-to-perfection fake grin.

"Ready to go?" I asked her. She nodded with a knowing smirk on her face. She glanced at Kane and tilted her head suggestively. I shook my head at her and stifled a laugh.

"Come on," I urged and she climbed out of the car leaving me and Kane. I turned back to Kane and smiled forcefully before getting out as well. I could see the confused wrinkle between his eyes in my mind's eye, but I didn't feel like explaining it to him now. It was strange for me to suddenly want to share my life with someone other than my sister. Not even she knew everything.

The truth was that I despised meeting new people. Before my dad started drinking our life was sort of normal and I had no trouble making friends as a child mainly because I had nothing to hide. Sure my mom wasn't exactly great, but I had no problem ignoring that little flaw.

When my mom was taken away people around us changed. It was subtle at first, but it was impossible to ignore. My peers started shooting me looks of suspicioun and snickered behind my back. My friends weren't the problem, not directly anyway.

They never looked at me the same. Every time I saw them their eyes screamed of their pity and after a while I couldn't take it anymore. Then my dad started beating me and I realized it would be easier for me to break away from them. It would be easier to keep my secrets if I didn't have so many people scrutinizing me for something suspicious so I left them behind.

Not all together of course, that would be too obvious. I made them think it was their choice. I shrunk into myself and just stopped responding to their gentle prods. I realize now that it was selfish and cruel of me to do that, but at the time it was the only way I could think of to make sure Mony and I stay together.

I was a ten year old with no idea how to hide a secret like that. It was the only way I could think of to keep them away from the truth.

After that I stayed away from people as much as I could and the habit just stuck. Meeting people meant invading questions and forced smiles and of course the constant worry that I would slip up and reveal too much.

It was a risk that I was never willing to take.

Kane pushed open the door and walked in leaving Mony and I in the doorway. We quickly slipped in after him and I closed the door behind us.

"Aren't you a gentleman," I teased. He turned back to me with a sarcastic smile and I chuckled.

"I'm in the kitchen, dear!" A woman's voice echoed across the house from down the hallway. Kane sighed softly, but there was a gentle smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. I automatically smiled as well. Mony shoved me softly.

"You're making it too obvious," she whispered and blood rushed to my cheeks.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I insisted and she grinned with a slight shake of her head.

"Hello, mother," Kane greeted his mother with a kiss to her cheek. His mother is a middle aged woman with the same chocolate brown hair as him. She has her hair loose and it hangs just below her shoulders with a slight curl. She has an apron on with a bit of spilled sauce tainting it.

"You didn't tell me we were having guests!" she exclaimed as she noticed us standing awkwardly a few feet away. "I would have dressed better and my hair is a mess from cooki-" she chattered but Kane interrupted her with a quick compliment.

"You look fine, mother." Seeing this as my cue I stepped forward and politely extended my hand.

"I'm Ella, It's nice to meet you, Mrs Moalch." I smiled at her, but she didn't hesitate and pulled me into a - dare I say loving - embrace.

"It's wonderful to finally meet my future daughter-in-law. You can just call me mother, dear. Do you know you're the first girl he's brought home to meet us. Oh, and your father isn't even here to meet her!" she gushed and patted my cheek affectionately. Kane and I awkwardly make eye contact. His eyes had a spark to it and I knew he wanted to wait before telling them. I gave him a subtle nod to show that I understood.

"I'm not-"

"We're not-"

But his mother wasn't paying us any mind as she bend down to Mony's level and smiled at her. "You see it too, don't you?" she asked and Mony nodded while stifling a laugh.

"Mother!" Kane exclaimed in embarrassment and looked away. His mother stood up and dusted off her apron.

"Well, I suppose it doesn't really matter. You're here now aren't you so I'll go double our dinner. Are you staying the night?" she chattered as she headed to the kitchen without waiting for a reply.

"If you are have Kane show you to the spare room. You two can only share a bedroom once you have a ring on your finger, dear," she said and Kane and I looked away from each other. I was sure if she continued I would have overheated and died. That actually doesn't sound too bad right about now.

"Mother!" Kane complained again and this time I chuckled slightly. He looked at me and it was like the awkward spell just suddenly disappeared. We both burst out laughing. I laughed so hard I had to clutch my stomach in pain. Mrs Moalch peeked her head from the kitchen and smiled in amusement at our outburst.

When our fit has finally subsided Kane grinned at me and led us up the newly polished wooden stairs and past a few multi-coloured doors before stopping. He held the door open for us this time and did a mocking bow while gesturing towards the now visible room, "After you, Cinderella."

I shot him a glare when Mony giggled and skipped past us.

"You're doing this on purpose," I accused. He smirked maliciously at me.

"Why whatever do you mean? he asked with wide eyes, ever the picture of innocence.

"Now you're just laying it on too thick," I glared, but an amused twinkle was sparkling in my dull eyes. He shrugged at my accusation and winked teasingly. He turned to walk down the hallway, stopping at a white and blue door. He pointed first towards the door then to himself.

I rolled my eyes at the unnecessary information and closed the door.

"Dinner will be ready soon," he called.