thirty-two: waiting for you

two months later

two months later

With my hands tucked into my pockets, I looked up at the big building and sucked in a deep breath. I took the card out of my pocket and read over the number of the building. With a quirked eyebrow, I decided not to question it and walked into the building.

I stopped at the entrance, finding the receptionist busy with a call, clearly frustrated with the person she's speaking with. I decided to wait it out a little more and exited the building. I leaned against the wall beside the entrance and decided to stop coming up with scenarios of what this could be. I would find out when I find out.

Closing my eyes and taking in deep breath, I allowed the New York honking and the sirens surround me. I decided to listen to them, pay attention to those sounds to stop myself from overthinking.

This could easily be an editor that got a copy of my book and tell me that my book sucks. I huffed at myself, opening my eyes and looked at the several faces that walked past me. Why is New York always so packed with people that are always on their phone?

I shrugged, telling myself that I shouldn't be talking because in high school, even now, I was one of those people. I watched a woman with a blazer and pants suit stride with a confidence that made me envy her, and question what her job is. I tilted my head, distracting myself now with coming up stories for each person I see walk by me.

I was in the middle of coming up with a story for a guy in shorts and tank top when I heard a familiar voice. Her voice was familiar, I just couldn't remember where I heard it before.

"Y/N?" She questioned, her face so recognizable. She smiled at me and extended her hand,"I am so glad you came."

I shook her hand, my confusion being very obvious to her now.

"You don't remember me, do you?" I shook my head, a guilty expression on my face. She waved her hand dismissively and shook her head."Its fine. It's been three years since graduation anyway."

"Graduation?" I said quietly, and then I examined her face again. That's when I remembered her."Erika!" I exclaimed, making her laugh.

"It's nice to see you again, Y/N." Erika said with a small laugh."How've you been?" She asked me, tucking her hands into her pockets.

"Good." I shrugged, glancing at the door then looked back at her."What were you saying that you were glad I came?" I questioned, my eyebrows furrowed and head tilted to the side a little.

"The card." She started, causing me to pull the card I had and looked at it. With my eyebrows raised, I listened to her as I stared at the card."I spoke to your English professor, and I was so glad to hear he was just as impressed with your writing like everyone else who has read them."

I quirked my eyebrow.

"I'm an A&R for Def Jam Records." I hummed, taking in the new information."I recently just started, I was an intern for the past couple of years. And now that I have this job, I am able to go to those that have talent and give them an opportunity to write and sing-"