Chapter 21

Playing the mysterious girl with a mysterious past has been fun—something I haven't experienced in a while—but it is time to let my schoolgirl crush go

Playing the mysterious girl with a mysterious past has been fun—something I haven't experienced in a while—but it is time to let my schoolgirl crush go. Daniel has his own life, own problems, own crushes and I have to get over the fact that I will never be a part of it. I couldn't be even if I wanted.

Daniel is the type of guy girls dream of being with, he seems to be perfect. He is incredibly handsome, deliciously tough, mysterious, held back, and overall a teenage girls fantasy. That is what I am, a teenage girl fantasizing. There is a good and bad side to this as well, the bad being that I am wasting my time, and the good being that I am beginning to feel again. It may be just a schoolgirl crush, but it shows me that I can feel this certain way towards guys.

It was weird at first, to like someone. I did not like it one bit, but now I am grateful, grateful to not just act like a girl my age but to truly be one. Maybe Daniel is simply a stepping stone on my journey back to normality. Who knows what is next.

Jana and I make a quick run to the grocery store to pick up a few things. The fridge is running low and Jordan is growing cranky, so we agree to grab some essentials and some sweets before our midnight hike later. I am excited for it as there is supposedly a giant boulder at the end of the trail where people climb up and stare out at the view. Daniel says that you can see the creek perfectly from it.

At the store, I grab a basket and together Jana and I wander about. I drove Jordans Grandmothers SUV, which was very different than my small car at home. Thankfully we made it in one piece.

"I want this," Jana places a bag of kettle corn into the basket, "and these. Should we get stuff for s'mores? There's a fire pit in the backyard."

"I guess. Is there anything we should bring on the hike? Like granola bars or something?"

Jana nods. "Yeah, we'll probably want a snack when we get to the top."

Just as I stray out of the aisle to head towards the more healthy snacks, Jana snatches me back, almost making me trip. "What the he—"

"Don't look back," she whispers rapidly and drags me the opposite way.

"What are you talking about?"

I try to not stumble over my feet when she slips past a corner, her fingers gripping onto me like a scared child's. "Red alert. Our nightmares are coming to life," she breathes out, not stopping until I yank away from her, demanding an explanation. "Trust me, we have to go n—"

"What are you two doing here?"

I have never looked back so quickly. Behind me is someone I had hoped to dodge.

Jana steps forward. "We're here for fall break."

Daphne scans over her, not very amused. Her eyes find me again. "And where would you two be staying?"