Chapter Twenty-Two

Korra's POV

"Where is he?!" I exclaimed. 

"At the University hospital," Mako responds as quickly as I ask.

I turn to Asami who was standing beside me, her jaw hanging open as she stares blankly at Mako, shock evident in her eyes. 

"Asami," I call out. 

She turns to me after a second and stares at me wide-eyed. "I need to see him. Can you stay here for a while?" I ask. 

"Of course," She responds automatically. Then she places a comforting hand on my shoulder, smiling in the process. I return the gesture and turn immediately to Mako. "Let's go." 

Thankfully, once we got outside my house, there was already a taxi waiting for us. Mako gestured to go inside and once we both got in, the driver drove as fast as he could. When I was inside, the fact that Bolin was hospitalized finally dawned on me. The realization that it was actually happening, caught me off guard and my breath hitched. As we got closer and closer to the hospital my chest tightened, as if it was being crushed by an invincible fist. 

Mako must have noticed since he placed his hand on top of mine. "It's going to be okay." He whispered gently.

Once we arrived and paid the driver, Mako and I ran towards the entrance. Since Mako already knew what room he was in, he led the way. As we came to a full stop at the door, somehow I couldn't move my feet forward. 

"Are you okay?" Mako asks.

"Yeah. Could you give me a minute?" I request. He nods and enters the door. 

What am I doing? My boyfriend is inside these doors yet my feet can't move. They were practically glued to the floor. Even though I knew how serious this was, a deep feeling of dread had controlled my body. My hands were clammy and I was shaking like a leaf.  A minute later, I managed to snap myself out of it and went inside the large wooden sliding door.

That was when I was hit with reality. 

Tubes. Lots of tubes and wires. There was a massive tube attached to Bolin's mouth that led to an oxygen machine. Dozens of wires were stuck to his body and connected to the machinery around him. His eyes were purplish black and completely swollen. His face was covered with fresh scars and bruises. His right leg was wrapped in a cast and hung from the ceiling, while his left one had a black bruise on it. 

I turned to Mako hesitantly. I felt useless beside him. He was the one who rushed to me to tell me that Bolin was hurt. I'm his girlfriend and I was nowhere near him when it happened. I was fixated on my own problems and desires. I hated myself. It's all my fault.

Both of us snapped our head to the direction of the door after a light knock on the other side. The doctor came in with a clipboard in his hand and a nurse followed him. 

Mako stepped forward and shook his hand.

"How is he?" He asked. 

"Well, his vitals are normal and we are still running some tests. But because of the impact of the colliding cars, unfortunately, it put him a state of comatose." The doctor states. He furrowed his eyebrows in sympathy. "We don't know when he will wake up. I'm sorry." 

Mako simply nods at the doctor and smiles faintly. But from the corner of my eyes, I saw Mako clench his fist. He squeezed it so hard, it resembled an over-ripened cherry. I glanced up to his face and saw no expression. Completely blank. His eyes were faintly dark.

He caught me staring, and at first, he was a little shocked but he flashed his signature smile. The smile he used with everyone else around. A mask.