3. Hook-Ups and Hang Ups

"I don't get it" my dad says after I explain the project to him. Again. He had been emailed a copy of my new schedule and now he was challenging me in a game of 20 questions.

"That's not my problem" I chuckle, stuffing a handful of popcorn into my mouth while Everything, Everything played in the background.

"So you'll be going to the police station instead of your afternoon classes?" I sigh, shaking my head. I had already explained this to him twice and he still wasn't getting it.

"No dad" I grumble. "All my classes will be shortened. I'll still have every class" I explain again.

"Shawn leave the poor girl alone" my mom laughs as she comes into the room, throwing her damp hair into a ponytail.

"I'm just trying to understand" he exclaims making my mom giggle.

"I gathered" she smiles, taking a seat on the arm of the couch and placing her hand on his shoulder. "But as sweet as it is that you've taken an interest, I think our baby girl has this handled."

He looks between my mom and I before nodding. "Okay" he gives in. "But they better not be putting you in danger" he adds making me roll my eyes.

"Dad" I groan. "I'm not a little kid anymore. I'll be fine" I assure him, placing my hand over his. "Everything will be fine."

~ 🚔 ~

"To Nick and Talia" we cheer, clinking our beer bottles. The guys from the station decided to throw Nick a last minute bachelor party before he left town tomorrow for the big day. I bring my beer to my lips and scan the room, catching the eye of an enticing red head. She flashes me a smile and I tilt my bottle in her direction as way of greeting.

"Someone need to get laid?" Brianna, a detective on the force, smirks.

"Is that an offer?" I reply smoothly. Brianna was attractive enough, a bit older than me but then again everyone was. I was only twenty-one, most of my co-workers were in their early thirties. That didn't stop me from looking though. With her dark brunette hair flowing in waves and her dazzling green eyes staring back at mine I find myself hoping she'll take me up on my offer.

"Maybe" she whispers, leaning into me.

"Wanna get out of here?" I ask, glancing around to make sure no one is paying the slightest bit of attention.

"Sure" she smiles. I down the rest of my drink and grab her hand, leading her out of the club. We climb into the car and as soon as I put the key in the ignition her hand finds it's way to my thigh, working upwards. I feel my jeans tightning along with my grip on the sterring wheel. When I pull up to my apartment building we run upstairs and crash together. Clothes being thrown in every which way as we stumble back to my bedroom.

~ 🚔  ~

"Come on" he begs through the phone. "Why don't you live a little?" he asks making me roll my eyes.

Aiden Waters. My boyfriend of a little over three months. He loved doing adventurous things like sneaking out while I got all of that out of my system in middle school when I had a crush on Riley's uncle.

"I'm tired babe" I complain. "Can't we go out next weekend?" I ask hopefully hearing him groan on the other end.

"You said that last weekend" he grumbles. I bite my bottom lip, running my fingers through my hair. "Maya" he sighs. "Just forget it" he grumbles. Before I can respond our phones disconnect. I take my phone away from my ear and stare at it in annoyance. I knew dating a college freshman was going to be difficult but sometimes I wondered if it was even worth it. I sigh, snuggling into bed and turning off my light. I wasn't lying, I really was exhausted so after checking my socials one last time I roll over and fall asleep.

A/N: Another short chapter 😑 I promise that once the assignment begins the chapters will get much longer. Thank you all for reading and stay tuned for the next chapter 😊