16. Confession Time

The request takes me by surprise. I knew it was inevitable though since the moment she walked into my office. I was falling for her, keeping this professional was the last thing I wanted. I pull over and turn off the car, moving in my seat to face her. "Maya" I sigh as her head drops.

"Or not" she lets out a breath. I shake my head and take her hand in mine.

"Sweetheart" I say softly. "It's not that I don't want to be with you" I admit, lifting her chin with my free hand. "This is just really, really complicated."

"Admit that you want this to be more than a professional relationship" she begs. I move my hand from her chin to her cheek, caressing her face as I rub my thumb over her soft skin.

"I want that more than I've ever wanted anything" I admit causing her lips to part in shock.

"Really?"

"Yes really" I nod, gazing into her stunning blue eyes. I had fallen completely. My world started and stopped with the gorgeous girl sitting in my front seat. She was everything to me. "But we can't do this. You won't graduate if we get caught. There's too much risk."

"I'm not worth the risk?" she asks softly, her eyes glazing over with tears. I smile, wiping them away.

"Sweetheart of course you are. I'm not."

~ 🚔 ~

"Yes you are" I insist. "Josh I can't lose you again."

"You won't" he assures me, "baby I'm all yours. As soon as the project is over." It wasn't what I wanted but it was something and after my night, I really wasn't in the mood for arguments so instead I simply nod.

"Okay" I give in as I pull back. "I guess I should call in the party."

"I'll be here the whole time" he smiles, gripping my hand tightly. I take a deep breath and dial 911.

~ 🚔 ~

"I really don't want to go home" Maya says softly as she rests her head against the window while we wait at a stop light.

"It's almost two" I argue lightly. "You should get some sleep."

"Not tired" she shakes her head, her eyes fluttering shut. "I wanna stay here. With you" she whispers making a smile pull at my lips as I reach my hand out to take one of hers in mine. She intertwines our fingers and my heartbeat speeds up.

I bite my bottom lip, thinking over an insane idea. "Sweetheart?" I ask causing her eyes to flutter back open.

"Hm?" she asks, tilting her head to look at me.

"Can you use my phone to text your dad?" She furrows her eyebrows at me in confusion.

"Why?" she questions as the light turns green and I merge into traffic.

"You wanna stay at my place tonight?" I ask causing her eyes to widen. I quickly squeeze her hand and shake my head. "No funny business" I assure her. "I would never take advantage of you sweetheart. Just to sleep."

A soft smile pulls at her lips as she grabs my phone. "What should I say?"

I think it over, gnawing my lip as I think over an excuse. "I have an idea but he's probably still gonna be a little mad" I explain.

"What is it?" she asks curiously.

"Text him and tell him I was called to the house and busted Aiden and a few other guys for possession with intent to deal. You were a little shaken up from the bust so I took you back to my place to sleep it off" I explain making her shake her head in amazement as she begins typing.