Chapter 37

"Albus where is he?"

"I believe he's with Professor Moody at the moment-"

McGonagall whirled. "Albus you fool."

"Hardly, Minerva. I realized myself and was on my way to get him." Dumbledore kept up with her easily.

They swept through the halls, heading for Mad-Eye's office. At some point Snape joined them, but Minerva was more focused on her adoptive son.

They burst into the office. Dumbledore handled Moody, while Snape stood by. McGonagall went straight to Harry.

"Are you okay?"

"Mimmy!" He shot to his feet to hug her tightly. "He's back, he's back, Voldemort's back and he killed Cedric I tried to do something but I couldn't I'm sorry-"

"Shhh." She said softly, hugging him back and petting his hair gently. "It's going to be okay, Harry."

"Minerva, Mr. Potter should go to the hospital." Albus told her quietly.

She nodded. "This way, Harry."

He leaned against her, looking numb.

Minerva led him down the corridor to a set of stairs, then from there to the infirmary. There was a bed with a curtain around it. Someone was crying inside. Harry cringed.

She rubbed his back reassuringly and led him over to one of the other beds, going to get Madame Pomfrey once he was lying down. The nurse bustled out and began to fuss over him. Harry just closed his eyes.

"Take care of my boy." Minerva told her softly.

She nodded in a businesslike manner, then her face softened and she offered Minerva a reassuring smile.

"I will, I promise."

Minerva nodded and went to find Dumbledore.

-----------------------------------------

"So I've been thinking of installing a cat flap in my quarters for the two of us." Minerva told Harry as they ate lunch in the hospital wing. He'd been silent and picking at his food, and she was trying to get him to at least react somehow.

He snorted involuntarily and looked up at her, eyes wide. "Really?"

She nodded, smiling faintly.

Harry chuckled, a small smile of his own lighting up his face. "That would be kind of funny, actually."

"I rather thought so. That reminds me, though, I should get you registered as an Animagus now that you can turn consistently."

He fell silent and she glanced at him again. There was something in his eyes that she didn't quite recognize or understand, so she raised an eyebrow and waited for him to speak.

"Do I have to?" Harry finally asked quietly.

Minerva was surprised. "It's the law, Harry."

"But-" he sighed, looking down at his food. "I just.... I wanted to have a little reminder of my Dad...."

Instantly Minerva understood. She frowned for a moment, thinking.

"I'll consider it." Was her final answer.

Harry smiled hopefully. "Thanks, Mum."

"Sirius will be over the moon, he'll be so proud." She chuckled.

"What will Sirius be proud of?"

They both looked up. "Professor Lupin!" Harry grinned.

Minerva smiled. "Remus."

He nodded to them, smiling softly. "Am I getting an answer to my question?"

Harry hurriedly scrambled out of his bed. "Look!"

As Lupin and McGonagall watched, Harry transformed into his Animagus form. He was a bit bigger now, practice aging his cat form.

Remus' eyes widened as Harry changed back.

"Harry.... how.... when?"

"I only managed to start doing it a bit before the tournament started." Harry grinned. "Mum taught me."

Remus turned to Minerva. "Have you registered him yet?"

She paused a moment before shaking her head. "He wants to remain unregistered, like his father."

Remus' eyes shone as he turned back to Harry, walking up to him and hugging him. "That's actually a wonderful idea, Harry. I approve. Your dad would be proud."

Harry hugged him back, smiling softly. "I hope he would."

Remus ruffled the boy's hair, smiling. "Go on. You need to eat."

Harry nodded and went back over to the bed, attacking his food with renewed vigor. His newfound enthusiasm made both Minerva and Remus smile.

"Is there something you needed, Remus?" Minerva asked him after a minute.

"Albus asked me to come speak with him. He told me he was going to talk to you as well, so I figured I'd find you first when I got here and we could talk to him together."

She nodded and stood. "That makes sense. I'll be back soon, Harry."

"I'll be here, Mum." He sighed, but she looked at him and saw he was smiling.

------------------------------------------

"You-Know-Who is most definitely back." Dumbledore said seriously, not looking up at Minerva and Remus. "Already there are reports of suspicious activity in the homes of former Death Eaters. Nothing conclusive, but enough to raise the eyebrows of those who are looking."

"Albus, if he's truly back, it's only a matter of time before he comes into the open. The Second Wizarding War will be upon us." Remus said, frowning worriedly.

"Precisely. This is why I needed to speak to the two of you."