Chapter||20

"What do you mean Jace? Basketball is so your thing. You play it almost every day." I poured, feigning innocence.

"Lexi." Jace warned.

"Ok, ok fine." I sighed, "What is it?"

"I wanna talk to you." Jace said, falling on my bed with an 'oomph.' He patted the spot next to him.

I hesitantly sat down, and Jace wasted no time in pulling me into his arms and laying back against the headboard.

"Jace," I sighed pressing against his chest as he kissed me on the cheek. He pulled away lightning fast.

"Did I do something wrong?" He murmured.

"No, nothing wrong." I said, "Just why are you being so affectionate?"

"I wanna talk."

"So you've said."

"Humor me, Lexi."

"Fine."

I laid in his arms for about a minute when he spoke up again. "What do you want?"

"What do you mean, what do I want?" I asked confused.

"Do you want a casual relationship to last until summer, or do you want something we can try to make last?" Here was hesitation in his question, almost as if he was scared of what my answer might be.

What did I want?

Sure this thing with Jace was fun now, but soon I'd be off to Europe and then college, and where would Jace fit in to any of this? Try as I might to find a place for him, he just didn't fit in.

I couldn't seem to imagine a time when Jace wasn't around in the past month or so, and I knew that I wanted him to be around for the next few or so more. But with college, and my summer trip, I didn't see how it would work. Long distance rarely ever works.

"I like you Jace. I really do." I started off, watching Jace's face fall into understanding as he saw where I was going with it. "But, I don't know if or how we can make long distance work."

"So, I guess it's casual then?" He asked neutrally.

"Well, want do you want?" I asked, "A relationship shouldn't be one sided."

"I wanted something permanent with you, Lexi. You know more about me than anyone who I'm not related to, and I think I want to spend my life with you, but if you don't want something like that, I'll be alright." Jace said genuinely, looking me in the eyes. "I'll take anything I can get with you."

"I think we should make the most of the time we have now, and see where it goes with me when I'm gone over the summer." I said.

"Ok." Jace said, "Whatever you want."

Why did he have to make me feel so bad about making the hard decision?

"Now kiss me." He smirked.

And there was the Jace I knew.

...

"Morning Lexi." Jace cooed as I opened my eyes the next morning.