Chapter 17: Decisions, Decisions

Two weeks had passed since Zeb made his decision and the tension that had gathered was slowly withering away. Ezra had tried to act casual but seeing Zeb fidget every time he came into the room made him in return fidget. As a result, they had kept their distance besides going and coming from school. Everyone else watched sadly as one of them frown sadly as they looked at the other, wanting to fix the bond between them but decided to let them figure it out.
So much for family support.

Sunday afternoon, Ezra sat at the island with Hera preparing lunch. In front of him sat a tablet with earphones, listening to whatever was playing. Hera felt a fond smile appear as she saw one come across her foster kid. Whatever he was watching was making happy and that's all that mattered.
Going back to her cooking, she didn't realized he frowned as the video continued.
A few minutes later, she turned around to empty a pot and saw the change of expression. Thinking hard of what to do, she sighed as the foggy water rushed out of the metal kitchen tool. Slowly a smile came on her face as an idea struck her.

Waving her hand in front of him, Ezra paused the screen on what looked like the living room of his old house. He tugged his earphones out and looked over his shoulder at her.
"Do you remember when you first got here we made a comprise?" Ezra smiled as he stood up after turning off the tablet, "Any request?" She shook her head as he exited the room with a slight smile on his face. She leaned back against the island with her eyes closed, hearing the bench being pulled out and the rustle of clothes.
As the music began to fill the house, his voice soon joined in, surprising her as she didn't recall asking him to do so. Her smile soon came back as she listened to the song, knowing everyone else was listening she gave a light chuckle as she remembered how the family was before. They were happy, yes but she couldn't help but feel something was wrong, missing. When Ezra got settled, that feeling slowly went away from the family.

The song slowly came to an end before the bench and rustle of clothes were heard again. He came in again with a smile and went straight into her unexpecting arms and hugged her. Her face showed shock but she wrapped her arms around him as his head rested on her chest. Laying her head on top of his, she closed her eyes as she relished in the feeling of his arms around her. Not the thinness or feel of bone and muscle that need to grow but the warmth they brung. She rubbed his back right before he pulled back with a smile and shine in his eyes.
Ezra grabbed his tablet and started walking out with slow steps. He paused at the wall before glancing back, "Thank you."

Ezra sat in his room with his head in his hands, the bed offering no comfort. Suddenly a furry nudged was felt against his head and he looked up. Surprise spread across his face as Chopper laid down in front of him. He sighed and smiled at the wolf, "What am I going to do, Old Friend?" Chopper looked at him silently before getting up and pushing his head against Ezra's chest. The boy obliged, laying down on the pillows. Chopper, standing above, laid down on top of him and lovingly rubbed his head against the tan cheek. Ezra smiled at the actions and wrapped his arms around the wolfs body, keeping him there as he slowly fell asleep under the body warmth of Chopper. The wolf watched adoringly before he himself laid his head down on the free shoulder. Arms tightened and loosened as a goodnight.

Just as night fell, the boy woke up alone, cold with no one. He sighed sadly before getting up and going to the dinner table as he knew he missed his chance of making dinner. Entering the room, he sat down down before glancing up with a smile. Hera looked over before saying, "Hey Love I saw Chopper leaving. Did he come see you?"
Ezra nodded in answer, "Yeah I fell asleep though and when I woke up poof he was gone. He's like Houdini." They chuckled as they knew he was light sleeper most the time.
Everyone started to serve themselves as Ezra blocked out everyone, thinking to himself. Slowly eating as he only served half a plate, he knew his old habits are starting to resurface.
Everyone spared looks at the oblivious boy every once in awhile, worried about the plate and look in his eyes. Suddenly, Hera announced, "Ezra, Love, if you don't eat some more then your going to have to eat something for dessert."
The boy nodded, not really listening before standing up with his plate. He pushed his chair in with a twitch of the the lips, "I'll get the ice cream then."
The mother sighed as he disappeared and whispered to herself, "He's getting back into his habits but why? Why now?"
Kanan glanced at her and sighed, "Maybe he has a lot on his mind, Sweetheart. If he does it two more times, you can start serving fat foods if you want. Ok?"
She nodded just as the teen walked back in, a container in one hand and stacked bowls in the other. Sitting down he immediately served himself two scoops of the vanilla ice cream before putting it in the center of the table for everyone. He once again zoomed out as he ate the treat, not minding the concerning looks he received.

Late at night, when the clock struck 1, Ezra woke up with a gasp. Staring out of his skylight, he jumped at the struck of electricity. As the tremors start, he shakily stands and descends down his stairs. He paused at the door, deciding whether or not to except the offer they made last storm.
'It's fine, just come to one of us if you need comfort or something, don't keep it to yourself to handle.'

Ezra opened the door and slowly walked down the hallway, his light footsteps could hardly be heard. Well almost, one was up waiting for them.

Zeb sat in his bed, a blanket laid down at the bottom and an MP3 plus a tablet with earphones waiting on top. He faintly smiled as footfalls fell in the hall. The bulky teen stood dressed only in sweatpants and slowly peaked open the door. Frowning at the site of his little brother who looked to be almost in tears and tremors seen from the distance.
Zeb sighed before opening the door fully, walking down to where the boy was leaning against the hall.
Carefully sliding his arms under the others, he picked him up gently as he weighed nothing compared to what he lifted. Legs wrapped around the waist and arms around the neck, Ezra's head fell onto the giants chest.
Zeb sighed and rubbed his fingernails lightly across the boys clothed back. As he reached his door, the sound of a door opening made he pause. He glanced back to his parents worried faces before letting his head fall onto the smaller one.
"I've got hi' don' ya worry."
Kanan and Hera smiled sadly as they watched them disappear behind the door. Neither one worrying about the brothers as they went back to cuddling and easily slipped back asleep.

Zeb sat down on the side of his bed and reached over the the pile of items he gathered earlier that night. Keeping one hand under Ezra's bottom, he slowly pulled the blanket out from under and flung it out, opening it enough to put on. He grabbed the extra items before going up to the headboard to lean against, the teen still safely in his arms.
The lightning strikes again and Ezra flinches as the tears finally fall. Zeb sighed at the wetness on his shoulders and slowly moved Ezra around and before long he was laying across his lap, swaddled in the blanket. Zeb quickly reached behind his neck and pulled it over his head as a hood formed like nights prior to before.
"Which do ya wan'? Yer table' or music?"
Ezra's brow furrowed in thought, not that Zeb could see.

Should I allow him to see? Will he betray me like all those prior or will I have a brother? Zeb had clearly chosen the other night but should I actually let him in? As he thought about what to do, remembered something his old friend once told him, "When you fully trust a person without any doubt, you get one of two results: A person for life or a lesson for life."

Deciding to take the words to heart, he replied softly, "The tablet."
Zeb nodded, deciding not to comment on the moment of thought before passing the flat metal over. Ezra brung his hands out of the blanket, plugging in the earphones and putting one in. He quickly reached up and stuffed the other in his... big brothers. He missed the look of shock as he turned it on, whimpering as thundering rolled through the room again. Quickly opening the videos, he clicked a random one as he didn't have the heart or courage to chose rationally.

Ezra sighed and relaxed as he heard his fathers laugh and mothers chuckling. He looked at the screen to see a miniature him as he was about 5 sleeping on the table. His parents were watching as they leaned back against the counter, his mum in his fathers arms. A deep voice came from the man, "What are we going to do with him, Mira?"
His mother laughed back, "I don't know but I find it cute."
"Of course you would find it funny as you don't have to clean the kitchen." He replied in a whiny voice. Mira smirked, "And whose fault is that?"
He sighed in defeat, "Mine."
She nodded and reached up to pat his cheek. He leaned into her touch with a smile before glancing back to the little Ezra.

Zeb watched shocked as the video played and glanced down at the boy held in his arms. Ezra had already started to nod off as he was exhausted even from his nap earlier that day. He continuously was worried about his past and his new... family.
He didn't know what to do.

Zeb pulled him tighter against his chest and pulled the earphones out, deciding to try and get some rest as school was still tomorrow. Before he could lay them both down though, Ezra squirmed in his sleep as his brows furrowed. The larger teen rushed to put on the music instead and sighed in relief as the boy completely relaxed again. He slid down slowly with him in arms before laying down in a pillow. He slowly placed one under Ezra's head before sighing tiredly.
"Thanks for showin' me, Kit."
He didn't expect a smile and a whisper to reply,
"I made a decision... Brother"

Hello Peeps! Sorry for not updating for awhile. I was getting use to the school schedule and homework. Well I hope this is good enough and tell me if the pace is good or I'm going to fast. Well that's it I think, I'll see you the next time I update! Bye bye!!☺️☺️

-Momo