four: just my luck

I slide into my seat next to Ned in first period. Art. I'm actually really proud of of how it came out.

"She was on the news this morning." Ned tells me excitedly.

"Who was?" I ask.

"Duh, the spiderwoman. Bet you ten bucks she's hot." He says with a grin.

Make it fifteen, I look like actual crap most of the time.

"Whatever." I say, grinning and rolling my eyes.

"Your homework last night was to draw and color a picture of something that means something to you. Please take those out." Miss Barsta says. I flip my journal open to the page with the drawing of the New York skyline over the Hudson Bay at night with a smile.

"Dude, that's really good." Ned says. I look over at his. He used oil pastels to color in a picture of his dog.

"Not as good as yours. I love the colors," I say, motioning to his very colorful dog.

"Whatever." He says with an eye roll.

"I'm not lying," I grin.

"Yeah, okay."

Miss Barsta walks over to our table first since we sit in the front.

"Ned, this is wonderful! I love your choice of colors and how you blended them." She says.

"Thank you." He replies. She smiles at him then moves over to me. I start twirling my pencil in my hand.

"Wow." she says, turning my journal towards her. "Is this the view from your apartment?" She asks.

"No. I, uh...went for a walk last night, and New York is home, and home is important to me, so...I drew the skyline at night." I stammer.

"I love how you captured the reflection on the water. Keep up the good work, Madelyn." She tells me with a warm smile. I return it as she walks away.

"You should be an artist." Ned says.

"You really think so?" I say sarcastically, resting my head in my hand and narrowing my eyes.

"Uh, yeah. Look at that."

"Whatever, Ned." I chuckle.

~~~

"Have you seen the news yet?" Ned tells the three of us excitedly.

"You're obsessed, Ned." MJ says flatly.

"I'm not obsessed," he says, looking down at his tray and twirling his plastic fork in the ketchup.

"What are you doing?" She asks. I'm sitting next to Peter today. We exchange glances and try not to laugh.

"Dipping my fork in ketchup," he replies smugly.

"Why?"

"Because I can."

I bite my lip so I don't laugh as I take a bite of one of the school's corn dogs they served today.

"You two are awfully quiet." MJ says to us. I look over at Peter and shrug.

"I'm just tired," Peter says.

"There's nothing much to talk about, either." I add. Ned smacks his hand on the table.

"Dude, a freaking superhero was on the news this morning! What do you mean 'there's nothing to talk about'?!" He exclaims. MJ, Peter and I burst into laughter.

"What's so funny?" He asks after a few minutes of the three of us nearly dying of laughter.

"You sound obsessed." I say.