five: old wounds

I step out into the crowded school hallway, next to Ned and MJ.

"I have to go to the library with Flash," I groan as we start walking.

"Why?" Ned asks.

"Because of the stupid chemistry project Mr. Jones assigned us to. He chose our partners." I say.

"Sucks to be you," MJ says. I roll my eyes and leave them, stepping up to my own locker. I enter my combination and grab my backpack, setting my chemistry textbook and journal inside of it.

I sling my backpack onto my back and close my locker, turning around just as Peter steps up to me.

"Nice backpack," he says, frowning. I raise my eyebrows.

"Thanks...?" I say, slightly confused. I have had this backpack for god knows how long.

"Well, I've gotta go to the library with Flash." I sigh.

"I'll bet you a nickel he doesn't show," he says. I shrug.

"I don't know. He seemed pretty serious about it." I reply, starting off down the hallway. "Bye, Peter."

"Bye, Mads."

I get to the quiet library and settle down at a table, shoving my backpack underneath my feet. I set my textbook and journal onto the table, flipping open to section six. I start the first few questions, looking up whenever the door opens.

Time continues to pass, and Flash still doesn't show up. I eventually finish all of section six, and Flash still isn't here. With a sigh I pack up, leaving the library.

I pull out my phone and text Peter.

I owe you a nickel.

Seriously? He didn't show up?

Nope.

What a jerk. I'm sorry.

I shut my phone off and slip it back into my pocket. I push the doors to the school open, stepping out into the warm air. I don't even bother to get home fast, I just take my time.

~~~

"Where were you?" Lucas asks as I step into our apartment.

"At the library," I say.

"With your boyfriend?" He asks with a grin.

"I don't have a boyfriend, and no, I was alone." I say.

"That's depressing."

"You're depressing." I say, dropping my backpack by the door and collapsing on the couch, next to Lucas.

"Did you hear about her?" He asks.

"Who?"

"The Spider-Woman." He replies, grinning.

"Oh, kinda. Ned's like, obsessed with her." I say.

"I don't blame him." He chuckles, pointing to the TV.

"You may have seen her on the news, you may have seen her yourself. That's right, there's another hero shooting webs around the city. Sounds familiar, right? Well, she's almost exactly like the Spider-Man. She can shoot webs, climb walls, and has incredible strength. She was seen..."

"She's not exactly like him," I mutter.

"...saving a lady from being stabbed the other day. Some say that they've seen her swinging on webs around town, and some even say that they've seen her with the Spider-Man himself. We won't say anything until we get some footage, but she did in fact save a lady in broad daylight." They then play the clip of me getting kicked in the cheek, which I still have a bruise from.

"Look at that! How she tied him up!" Lucas exclaims with a grin.

"Cool."

"Dude. You were practically jumping with joy when the spider-guy showed up. What's your deal?" Lucas asks.

"The fact that they keep putting her behind the Spider-Man! She's not an admirer." I say.

"Do you know her?" He asks. I bite my lip.

"No, but she's not an admirer." I say.

"I don't think she is, either. But she could be, for all we know. Look, she's cool, she's here, she's protecting us. That's what matters." He says.

"It would be cool if she worked with the Spider-Man, though." I say.

"Uh, yeah! Way cool!" He exclaims. I chuckle at how excited he is over this, getting up and bringing my backpack to the small table in our little breakfast nook. Lucas gets up and joins me, opening a bag of chips.

"Can I help you?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"No." He says, crunching on a chip. He lifts my backpack up. "Why is your backpack so heavy?"

"Because I have stuff in there." I say simply.

"What kind of stuff?" He asks, starting to unzip it.

"No!" I exclaim, lunging forward and snatching my backpack from him. My suit is in there.

"I mean...stop snooping. It's none of your business." I say.

"Are you hiding something?" He asks, eyebrows raised.

"No."

"Yes you are." A smirk starts to spread across his face.

"Lucas," I warn. He stands up slowly. I quickly leap up, running back to my room and slamming the door behind me.

"Dude, it can't even be that bad. Unless it's like drugs or something."

"I'm not doing drugs, Lucas!" I shout, locking my door and grabbing my suit out of my backpack. I need a better place for it. I look around my room, deciding that the box under my dresser was the best option. I slide it out, brushing some of the dust off of it. I open it quickly, eyeing some of the old photos I have in there. I grab an old family photo that's cracked, with everyone in it, including our dad, who's never home. I shove it in my backpack and stuff my suit into the box, closing it and sliding it back under my dresser.

I unlock my door, and Lucas throws it open, making it hit me square in the face.

"Ow!" I shout, slapping him as he walks into my room. He unzips my backpack and slowly brings the photo out.

"This?" He asks, holding it up. My bruised cheek starts to throb, again.

"Yes. That." I say.

"Why were you trying to hide it? And why is it in your backpack?" He asks, gently running his finger over the crack.

"I don't know...I wanted to get a new frame for it and I...I don't know." I say. We haven't seen our dad in awhile, and I can't even remember our last family dinner. It used to be every night, he would come home, help us win homework, have dinner with us, and then tuck us in. I hear him come home late at night sometimes, around midnight or one. I hear him and my mom argue.

"C'mere." Lucas says suddenly, setting the photo down and opening his arms up. Even though I lied to him, I can't help but tear up. He wraps his arms around me and we hold each other, the cracked photo laying by our feet.

Author's Note
This is possibly the worst chapter I've ever written. I'm so sorry! I'm trying to develop the relationship between Mads and Lucas better. Anyways, have a lovely day! I hope you enjoyed the chapter 💛