Chapter 43 - Rooftop Chats

"She'll be okay, darling. Just let her rest." 

"Okay."

As my senses slowly returned to me, my eyes fluttered open, only to be met with the hazel eyes of a boy behind a red mask. Blaze Boy.

"She's awake! Velma!"

Blaze Boy was shoved out the way and was replaced by a woman with a black fringe, and dazzling green eyes.

"Yes, darling. That new medicine seemed to work." She exclaimed, squinting at me before disappearing again.

What?

Why was Velma here? 

Where was I, exactly?

I opened my mouth to speak as Blaze Boy hovered over me once more.

"W-Where am I?" I asked, trying to lift my body from the bed I was laying on. Blaze Boy instantly pushed me back down.

"We're at Velma's. I found you on the street. Look, don't move too much, okay?" He replied, looking anxious. What?! He was telling me, Cascade Brown, sassiest girl in San Francisco, what to do?

"I think only my mother has the right of telling me what to do, thank you." I retorted in reply, heaving myself into a sitting position. Then Blaze Boy's words struck me. I found you on the street.

Street fight.

Ice Woman.

Shoot.

"No! I need to get back out there!" I cried, swinging my legs over the white, minimalist bed and stepping on my right foot. Bad idea. Blaze Boy leaped forward to grab me as I began plummeting to the floor. My foot was in pain. Intense pain. 

"What happened to my foot?!" I asked, as Blaze Boy sat me back down on the bed.

"You were drained of energy." He explained, gazing into my eyes. "You need to rest."

"No! Don't you understand? Ice Woman is still out there. We need to find her before she kills any more civilians! I can't just stop and rest!" I yelled, my voice echoing around the seemingly empty room. Didn't Velma know how to decorate? Sure, I knew the minimalist look was fashionable these days but in the room Blaze Boy and I were in, there was literally just a white bed.

Anyway.

Blaze Boy looked shocked at my outburst, but then his face returned to it's normal, relaxed self.

"Look, I know it's pretty urgent out there, but you need to rest. Just promise me you'll rest for an hour, then we can leave and I'll take you home." He said, his voice calm. I sighed, realizing neither him nor Velma were going to let me leave this house until I was better. 

"Fine." I muttered, flopping back down onto the bed.

"Oh yeah, and I brought your phone from your room. I figured you might be bored for an hour." Blaze Boy declared, handing me my phone. I gave him a weird look before examining my phone's home screen, showing my recent notifications.

Rachael at 1:03pm: Hey Cass,  we need to talk...

Rachael at 1:04pm: What about the roof 2night? 10pm okay for u?

I was elated. Rachael had actually replied to me. And she wanted to meet me. If it wasn't for Blaze Boy sat at the end of the bed, staring at me, I would've whooped with joy. My best friend wanted to talk to me. This was a miracle in itself.

As I quickly tapped in a reply, I noticed the time displayed at the top of my phone. 9:00pm.

What?!