Chapter Three: Night Creatures

“Are you sure you’re going to be okay?” I asked nervously.

            Amanda laughed. “Yeah, I am sure. You’ve been asking that question since an hour ago.”

            “Can you blame us?” Jasper said, rolling his eyes. “You’ve been in an accident but you don’t want us to worry about you?”

            “I’m okay,” Amanda said, sighing. “And my Mom is already okay. So you two stop fretting on me, okay? Now go, you two. I don’t want to waste your Saturday night. Hell, you’ve been here since two in the afternoon!”

            “Yeah, yeah. I’m going anyway,” I said, smiling. “My Mom wants me to go to the grocery. I’ll see you in Monday, Amanda. And you, Jasper, tomorrow.”

            “I think I can’t go to school at Monday, Melanie,” Amanda said, biting her lip. “I think I’ll have to stay with Mom.”

            “Oh right, I’m sorry,” I said sheepishly. “We’ll visit you after classes, okay?”

            “Sure.”

            “Need a lift?” Jasper asked, smirking at me.

            I nodded. “If you don’t mind.”

            “I don’t,” he said and put his arm around my shoulders. Then he looked back to Amanda. “Bye, Amanda and take care!”

            “Bye, guys! I’ll see you in Monday.”

            And without another word, Jasper and I walked downstairs, the scent of the hospital filling in my nose. Ugh, I always hated the smell of the hospital. It’s just… ew.

            Jasper and I visited Amanda’s mother, who is still unconscious. But Amanda told us that the doctor said she’s going to be okay and don’t worry. Apparently, she and her mother were on their way to the Movie Theatre when a truck suddenly hit them. Luckily, Amanda just suffered minor scratches and a broken arm, nothing serious. Amanda’s mother wasn’t that lucky.

            “I can’t come with you inside the grocery,” Jasper said, looking at me apologetically.

            I raised an eyebrow. “Why’s that?”

            He sighed sharply. “My parents are having dinner at home with some of their classy and rich friends. They’re bringing their kids, too. And it turned out they are girls. Mom wants me to mingle with them… and you know… make them my girlfriend.”

            “Really? That’s awesome!” I said, faking a smile.

            “It’s not.”

            I dropped the smile and immediately replaced it with a frown. “Yeah, I know that. But don’t you want to have a girlfriend?”

            “I do. But I want to meet her in my own terms. Not any fixed dinner. And I don’t want any rich and classy girls. I want a girl who is normal. And, oh yeah, she also needs to be blonde.”

            I rolled my eyes at him. “Try Amanda. Or Abigail. Or better yet, that new girl Roxanne Fox.”

            “I think the three of them have flaws. One, Amanda is one of my best friends and I don’t want to ruin our friendship. And besides, she wouldn’t like me. She knows I’m crazy about you,” he said, and I slapped his chest teasingly. “Two, Abigail is a cheerleader and an airhead. She’s a flirt and a bitch. See what I mean? And last, Roxanne is just too classy and rich for me. And, I’m too hot for her.”