Chapter 45

Hey guys! Sorry for my short lived absence but school and hoco are killing me right now! I'm glad to be back regularly though, thanks so much for reading my story and hope you enjoy!

***

Jennifer's POV -

"Yea, some first year named Justin Mahoney. I didn't know him, but they say he's not doing too hot. Said he was missing a lot of blood when they checked 'im out at St. Mungo's a few days back, but there were no cuts or openings on his body, which is strange, especially considering how much blood had been lost."

I nod my head slowly, carefully listening to Neville as he tells me about the attack on the first year from a few days ago. He'd once told me he has a cousin who works at St. Mungo's, so I assume that this is how he knows all of this.

Things between Neville and I had been pretty weird since the ball, but I'd grown tired of that, and decided to go up to him to clear the air a few days ago. He was a good friend, and I'd missed him. Even better, he'd started dating some 5th year in Hufflepuff a month or two after the dance, so I was happy for him.

"Do you think he'll...you know." I say in a hush, not wanting to directly speak of the death of a young boy.

Neville's lips pull back in a tight line, his eyes drifting downwards. "That's the thing." He says, his words rather fateful. "They don't know." 

I lean back, unsure of how to feel. Although this news is saddening, what concerns me more is what Blu really had to do with this. There was no way for her to know that this little boy had been attacked at first glance - even the workers at St. Mungo's weren't sure after a thorough physical exam.

"I've gotta go now Jennifer, Professor Sprout wants to see me about becoming a possible tutor for a few of her students." Neville says, drawing me from my thoughts as he slings his bag over his left shoulder. "Catch you later."

He says this with a small smile, and then disappears from the great hall, leaving me sitting alone at the Gryffindor Table.

I decide to get up, because I know I shouldn't be here by my lonesome. When I don't see anybody else that I'd fancy talking to, I decide to leave the Great Hall altogether.

I know that Josefina and Kelsie are in the common room finishing a Charms essay that I've already completed, and Draco's catching up on a few hours of rest before returning to his task. I don't want to disturb him, so I decide to head down to the dungeons and help my friends out with the essay.

The corridors seem relatively quiet as I make my way down to the common room, and I can't help but feel a little shiver crawl up my spine.

Out of almost nowhere, I feel a large and soft hand grab mine, pulling me down another corridor.

I'm too surprised to protest.

"It's just me." A familiar voice coos upon seeing the panic etched into my face.

Kyle.

"Oh-" I say when I'm unsure of what to say. What could he possibly want with me? I haven't spoken with him in quite awhile. Now that I take a closer look at him, there's something urgent about the way he glances around the corridor, stress swimming in his eyes. "-what's going on?" I finally manage to finish.

"I shouldn't have been so grabby, I'm sorry. I just need to talk to you about something." He says, running an olive-colored hand through his dark hair.