Chapter Sixty-Two

"Doctor Millar. I'm looking after Becky." He shook Michael and Rob's hands. "I'm going to keep her overnight." The doctor looked at Michael, and then glanced at Rob. "She's had some stitches in her head, there's a large contusion on her thigh and bruising on her upper arm. Nothing major but mentally she's drained and needs a good rest so I've sedated her."

He tapped the clipboard in his hand. "Physically she'll be fine to go home tomorrow but I'd like to see how she's feeling." He rubbed Linc on the head and smiled. "The little guy's right to go now." The doctor looked at Rob. "Are you his brother? I can't let him go without a responsible adult and I believe his father has been hospitalized. Is that correct?"

"He'll be coming with me. Rob's my son." Michael indicated with his head. "We're taking responsibility for both Linc and Becky."

"Great, Superintendent." Doctor Millar held out the clipboard and a pen. "Can I get you to sign here?"

Sheila had the beds made up in the spare rooms. "Oh... Linc." She bent and gave him a cuddle. "How are you, sweetheart?" Sheila ran her hand over his face. "You must be so tired. I have some old pyjamas of Rob's for you. I hope they fit." She took his hand. "Come on. We'll get you in the shower, and then into bed. Are you hungry?"

Michael and Rob grinned at each other as Sheila led Linc away. Michael shrugged. "Told you she'd be okay with it."

Rob chuckled and watched Linc look over his shoulder and grin. "I'll come see you in a minute. After you have a shower."

"Wow...!" Linc sat on the edge of the double bed and bounced up and down. Rob watched him from the doorway. "I get to sleep here all by myself. Will Becky share with me when she comes out of hospital?"

"No." Rob chuckled and stepped into the room. "There's another room next door for Becky and mine's across the hall."

"Can I see it? Is her bed as big?"

"Linc. It's three o'clock in the morning. We need to get some sleep. You can see it when you wake up." Rob pulled the quilt back. "Come on. You must be tired."

Linc crawled under the covers. "Do I have to go to school tomorrow?"

"No. None of us are going to school tomorrow." Rob sat on the edge of the bed. "Are you okay? Did you want to talk about anything? You've had a big day."

"Nah... I'm all good. We're used to it. Our dad's a dickhead but he doesn't usually go that nuts. Will he go to gaol, Rob?"

"I don't know, mate. I think a doctor will assess him. You know. Look at him to see if his mind is okay or if it was because of the drugs he took. He might have to go to rehab or something." Rob patted Linc on the side. "But don't worry. You and Becky are going to stay with us until it's all sorted. Dad and Mum are going to talk to Children Services, to see if they can foster you both."

"I like your Mum. She's nice." Linc yawned. "So is your Dad." He grinned. "For a copper. My dad hates coppers."

"Yeah. I think my parents are pretty cool too." Rob grinned and stood up. "I'm just across the hall if you need me, okay?"

"Okay." Linc rolled on his side. "Rob."

Rob had his hand on the light switch. "Yeah, mate."

"Can I have the lamp on?"

"Sure." Rob stepped forward and clicked on the switch. He turned the big light off and grabbed the door handle. "Night, Linc."

"Night, Rob. Thanks."

Rob sat with his parents drinking a cup of tea. "I'll ring work tomorrow and change my shift and tell them Becky won't be in for a week." He looked at his father. "You'll probably have to ring the school and let them know Becky and Linc won't be there."