Chapter 7

DANIEL hid his split lip by looking down at the ground he walked on. His upper arm screamed in pain and his sides protested as he drew in breath after breath. But Daniel, despite his immediate problem, couldn’t help thinking again why Abagail and Caden had followed him after English. There could be no way they suddenly noticed him without a reason - perhaps they had found out about how good of a punching bag he was.

How it was fun to beat him up and force him to make him do their homework. And Abagail wasn’t a gentle person, he had watched first hand of how Abagail had earned her reputation. Her brooding appearance wasn’t a facade, and neither were her threats. Daniel remembered one of her notorious fights, that had taken place last year, between her and Cameron. Nobody knew what it was about - except for Caden - and Abagail had him on the floor within five minutes with barely a scratch on her.

Looking up from his feet, Daniel surveyed his last class for the day. He hadn’t seen Abagail or Caden since their last class together thankfullt.

There was another who occupied his mind. She was rarely far from his thoughts.

Holly Hammond.

As he walked into his art class room, he knew he would see her. Holly. She was in his Maths, Science and Art. And Daniel had the best seat in the class - a row right behind her. Her blonde hair hung in a single pony tail - shiny and perfect. That is something Abagail found truly disgusting about her. Daniel jumped when the auburn haired girl sat beside him - he had forgotten she was in his class - had tried to forget. Had never bothered to remember.

Holly tensed up at the presence of the girl behind her, the two still having their rivalry he guessed - although Holly was equally disgusted and annoyed to find out it was only her who found it as a rivalry. Abagail found it more as a petty annoyance.

“Hope no one is sitting here.” Abagail smiled coyly. Daniel kept the left side of his face angled, glad she sat on the other side of his split lip, as he watched her open her text book. He wasn’t surprised that there was basically no solid work - but he was surprised at the random scrawls and designs - because they were actually good.

Some looked tribal, while others were just drawings of womens faces - usually a cigarette in her hand or mouth. He could see why she was in art.

Why he was here? He had a passion for it, but he knew nothing would come of it. There was nothing else on this line to choose - plus Holly was in this class. Daniel should have cared that his infatuation with Holly was effecting his school work but all he could care about was her.

“Uh - no one is sitting there.” Daniel rubbed the back of his neck, his cheeks again red, thick-rimmed glasses ascew. Whatever she was doing would stop - maybe after she got what she wanted from him, whatever that was.

“Do you like art?” She asked, watching the teacher walk into class - wearing a black shirt and skirt with a bright flower designed scraf. Ms Freyer was an odd one.

“Y-Yes.” He sounded weak - he knew that, he had known that for years - his brother and everyone at school loved reminding him on a daily basis.

“I think it’s cute - you being nervous.” She brushed a piece of his light hair from his forehead - a weird look in her eyes as she did so. His face burned a million times hotter as he kept his face forward. Not looking at her and making sure she didn’t see his busted lip. Satisfied with her work, Abagail sat back in her chair smirking.

“I hope you’re not distracting my prized student, Daniel.” Ms Freyer approached their table, tapping her paintbrush on Daniels desk. Daniel kept his head low - he couldn’t let her see the split lip. Abagail merely smiled lazily up at the teacher.

“Course he’s not - he’s my new muse.” Abagail flicked her book open to a free page in her text book - everyone else had art books but Abagail was using a ruled book and a blue pen.

“It sure is a step into the light don’t you think? I still expect emotion in your drawing.” Ms Freyer sighed, staring over Abagails shoulder at Daniel, who kept his head ducked and cheeks red. “You think it’d help if he looked up?”

“No, I like this angle.” Abagail bit her lip and started scratching away at her page with the pen. Daniel watched her out the corner of his eye as she tapped her fingers, using her knees for her table as she stared at him every now and then.

Daniel was having trouble with drawing - he was never the best, but he wasn’t ungifted - but he found himself usually drawing pictures of Holly, he threw most of them out knowing they were creepy - but sometimes when they were good he submitted them. Ms Freyer knew about his crush on the blonde girl - had encouraged him on many occasions to ask her out. But that never happened.

“Hey Daniel can you turn your - " her soft, calm voice was gone. She snapped out in a dangerous calm that had him freezing. "What happened to your lip?” she used a voice he didn't know she posed, like she was a comander. Delicate hands gripped his chin and forced him to turn and meet her gaze as she closely inspected the open wound.

“Nothing.” He pried her fingers off him, already ducking his head.

“Nothing my ass, what happened?” She lifted his chin up forcibly agian, needing to double take the injury to the boys face. Daniel watched as unrelenting rage coursed across her features as she became a stone cold monster. “Who did this?” She demanded calmly.

“Nobody - It was nobody.” He inched away from her quickly - the bell ringing as he quickly escaped the room - all he had in his art book were a failed attempt to draw a grape-fruit looking hand.

Nobody - that didn’t sit well with Abagail as she stared after the boy with a split lip.

The nerd. Her mate.

“I guess that’s the next thing you’re going to corrupt?” Ms Freyer added to her absentmindedly as everyone had left class, Abagail had yet to pack up.

“He has a thing for Holly, doesn’t he?” Abagail spat her name, bile running through her throat at the thought of him trailing after the spoilt brat.

“Yes.” Ms Freyer stopped what she was doing to smile mischievously. “What’s it to you?”

“He’s mine.” She let her wolf pur inside her with anticipation as she threw her things into her bag - ready to get answers the only way she knew how.

Persistence.