Chapter 14

Darkness. 

Water. There's water close by. 

Grass scratched lightly at her skin. 

The floor was so cold. 

Elena's breathing is so loud. 

Fire cut the darkness into pieces, it was too bright. 

Pain rushed through her veins. At first, every cell of her body hurt, then it disappeared from her arms and legs and wandered to her throat. There it was a different kind of pain. It burned like hell. She felt the urge to cough and drink loads of water, but she knew that this wasn't what she really wanted. What would bring her relief. 

Grace opened her eyes to take the situation around her in. They were near the little lake, so they weren't war away from the town. Fire was around her, unnaturally shaped into an accurate circle. 

Elena was inside another circle. She gasped when she saw Grace's eyes open. Tears ran over her cheeks, but there was also relief in her eyes. But when realization hit the younger Gilbert, that short moment was gone. Shock and sadness were on her tender features and Grace had no clue why. 

"What happened...?" 

She stopped when she saw that someone was beside her. Honey colored hair covert the face of the person next to her, but Grace immediately knew who it was.

Jenna laid on her side, still unconscious. Grace's confusion grew, but she took her aunt by the shoulders and shook her. 

"Hey, Jenna, wake up." 

It took her a moment to wake, but then her eyes shot open and landed on her niece's face. Fear was visible on her, but also the lingering hint of anger. Grace knew exactly why, but it was so long ago...

"What am I doing here? What is SHE doing here?" 

Jenna's words were directed towards Elena who glanced between her sister and her aunt, clearly overwhelmed and speechless. It was too much for her, seeing her loved ones here, exactly knowing what happened to them. 

"Grace, Jenna...you're in transition." 

While Jenna immediately asked what that meant, Grace grew very quiet. In contrary to Jenna she already knew what that meant. She sat back down and pulled her knees to her chest, taking her time to process while Elena explained to Jenna what that meant.

...

Even though tonight's matter was so serious, he couldn't forget the joy he felt in the afternoon. Still Elijah could feel Grace's soft lips on his. The tips of his fingers still tickled at the places where he touched her. He couldn't stop thinking about her. 

But it made it even more important to kill his brother today. If Klaus knew that he had someone so precious to him...he would do the worst to her to destroy Elijah. 

It is right to do that, Elijah recalled again. He would save his family and probably the whole world from Niklaus' wrath. 

Elijah was ripped out of his thoughts when the Bennett witch joined him and Stefan outside the witch house. The Original leaned against the car, his arms crossed in front of his chest, eyeing the property, waiting for Grace to come out. Alaric probably told her and Jeremy about their aunt's faith right now, so he had to wait a little while longer. 

His brows furrowed when he saw the younger Gilbert come out without his sister. Why did she stay downstairs? Or wasn't she here? Grace had told him that she would go to the witch house...

"Where is Grace?" 

Troubled, Elijah stepped forward and directly addressed Jeremy, who felt obviously intimidated by the Original. Stefan, Bonnie and Alaric also grew cautious because of Elijah's tone and turned to face him.