23.

After hours of driving we have finally reached home. I kissed Tyler on the cheek and thanked his parents for taking us to the cabin, I then walked into my house and straight up the stairs to my room.

My parents and brother came in to greet me as I unpacked my clothes, I didn’t tell them about getting lost in the woods; what they didn’t know wouldn’t kill them. I pulled out that same jumper I was wearing and held the cold material between my fingers, thinking back to that night I spent with Lucas, my stomach filling with guilt.

I checked the time on my phone and remembered I had agreed to work a late shift today, I can’t remember why exactly but I’m guessing it’s got something to do with the extra money. I slipped on a pair of jeans and a plain black t-shirt then left the house to make my way to work.
It wasn’t busy as per usual; I was doing a few jobs here and there, putting together book orders and stacking shelves. Luckily Josh was working this afternoon too so I wasn’t alone. We spent most of our time having mindless conversations between the shelves- including about the trip.

Josh seemed interested in the cabin and what we did there, he told me he didn’t do much this week and that he wished he would’ve gone away.
After some more long hours it was finally time for me to go home, I texted my parents and told them that I would pick up some dinner on my way back since it was late. I stopped off at a drive thru and grabbed some fast food, eating in the car and then heading back home. I said goodnight to my parents as I moved sluggishly up the stairs and towards my room, sipping on my drink. I can’t wait to crash.

Unfortunately, when I opened my bedroom door, I wasn’t alone.

“What the fuck are you doing?” I said in a hushed tone, knowing that my brother was right next door. I walked into the room and shut the door behind me, I threw my bag on my bed and gave Lucas a stern look.

“Your room’s nice.” He said.

“You broke into my house.” I stated, it was quite clear that he had broken in; if my parents had let him in, he would be sitting in the living room watching TV with them.

“Come somewhere with me.”

“Are you just ignoring every word I am saying?” I asked.

“Come somewhere with me.” He repeated.

“Where?” I asked, curious.

“Just somewhere.” I nodded and he relaxed a little bit.

“I need to change; can you turn around?” I asked.

“What if I don’t want to?” He asked.

“Then that’s on you.” I whispered. We stayed stood up, staring into each other’s eyes. I kicked off my shoes and nudged them under my bed, he didn’t even flinch when I unbuttoned my pants and rolled them down my legs. We both remained stoic, just standing there- I brought my hands down to the bottom of my shirt and pulled it over my head, running it down my arm and leaving it on the floor next to my jeans.

Lucas’ eyes flickered to the little bralette I was wearing and then back up to my face, I turned and walked around my bed towards him; he was standing in front of where I kept my clothes. I came dangerously close to him.

“Do you mind?” I asked, nodding my head towards the drawers. He stepped to the side and allowed me access to them but still making sure we were close enough to feel one another breathe. I found a white, flowy cami and slipped it over my head then paired it with a pair of light, denim, ripped jeans. I turned and faced Lucas again, neither of us saying anything and just staring at one another’s face. I smirked a little and backed up finding a different pair of shoes and putting them on my feet. I grabbed my keys and phone then put them into my pocket.

“Let’s go.” I said, Lucas placed his hand on the small of my back and turned me towards the window. We slipped through the gap and stepped onto the tree that was outside my window. We made sure we were quiet when we jumped down so our feet could meet the ground. We ran quickly towards Lucas’ car and climbed in without saying a world. We drove for a few minutes until I finally broke the silence.

“Where are you taking me Luke?” I asked.

“It’s a surprise.” He muttered, I decided that it was best not to ask any more questions.

Thirty minutes later and we were on the top of a hill, over-looking all of Louisiana, the lights looked like golden stars amongst the black sky, I looked up and saw the real stars- making the Louisiana seem like the reflection on a water’s surface. I opened the car door and climbed out, going over towards the edge and sat down, waiting for Lucas to join me.

“It’s where I come to think.” He admitted. “It puts things into perspective, seeing everything look so small and insignificant. Nothing seems that big when you sit here.”

“Why am I here Luke?” I asked getting impatient.

“Because I want you here.” He whispered back, I hadn’t realised that he had moved closer and we were now back to being face to face like how we were in my room. Neither of us moving or talking.

“We’re going to be late.” He stated, standing up and taking my hand- dragging me to the car and opening the door for me. I decided not to question Lucas again and just to go with him. We drove back down into Louisiana, to a part of it I hadn’t really been to before, on the other side of where I lived.

Lucas parked the car and stepped out, running over to my side but before he could open the door for me I did it myself and stepped out. I looked over and saw a familiar face standing at the entrance to this bar Lucas had decided to take me to.

I walked over towards him and was pulled into a hug. Holden rubbed my back and rocked us side to side.

“How you doing kiddo?” He asked.

“I’m fine, you?” I responded. He nodded and turned to do his little handshake thing with Lucas. I stood there watching the interaction between the two, they acted more like brothers than Tyler and Lucas and they were actually brothers.

“Are we late?” Lucas asked.

“No, they are just about to start.” Holden said handing me a ticket and a fake ID. I used the ticket and the ID to get into the bar, it was really cool inside- an old-fashioned tavern and it was buzzing with people.

“What am I doing here Holden since Luke won’t tell me shit.” I sneered.

“We are attending a concert.” He smiled, I looked over to where a stage was being set up, I glanced at the boys with a hint of ‘are you serious?’ washing over my face. I sighed and said a quick ‘okay’ then moved to the bar to get a drink. Holden followed me.

“I take it you know about us then?” I asked while handing over my fake ID to the bartender- she glanced at it and then poured me a drink, sliding them both over to me and taking my money, giving me the change all before Holden had the chance to respond.

“It’s none of my business.” He smirked. I took a sip of my drink as did he but before I could reply to him Lucas joined us.

“Come on, they’re starting.” Lucas took my hand again and pulled me towards the front of the stage, Holden trailing behind smiling. The band started soon after. They were good- really good actually. Not something I would typically listen to and I liked that. It was different for me and that felt amazing. Lucas took my waist and began dancing with me, spinning me and dipping me like we were in a movie montage. He pulled me close, our foreheads touching.

“Thank you for taking me here.” I said as his fingertips rubbed the skin under my cami. Lucas nudged me with his nose and after hours of just staring at each other’s faces, he finally kissed me.

Not because he was drunk, not hidden in some flimsy pop up tent.
He kissed me in front of his best friend and a room full of people. And I don’t know why but it felt good.

A/N

Thanks for reading. Hope you like it.

~Jadey6688