| 5 |

I stared at the paper in my hand, going through every single word and making sure it wasn't just a bluff. My eyes looked up at my professor and I blinked twice to make sure he wasn't kidding when he said I was bad at calculation but I was extremely good at my writing.

"Is this a job offer?" I whispered. He heard it though, nodding at me and going back to writing whatever that he was noting down on his books.

"But sir, I am still a student"

"Yes, a student who will be finishing your course by the end of this month. I saw your resume for the internship programs you applied for. I checked out your work. You aren't good at many things however, I found out you have done ghostwriting and editing."

Yes, I was a part-time freelancer, who couldn't take on many jobs because of my tight schedule. My course was important so I could accept better jobs and my part-time job was important so I could save up more money. But the job my professor offered me seemed too professional.

"Um, why did you ask me? I am sure others are great"

He pushed his books aside and looked at me.

"We offer jobs to students who have participated in internships and campaigns from this course. Many have already accepted the job suggestions I gave them. This is in fact a suggestion, you may take it or not it's none of my business. But if our students take on a job from this class, it benefits us too."

It might not be bad, If I can work and study just a bit more, I can become an editor for a small company. My online part-time job was worth it. I could try and maybe I can settle for a good income after all.

"The reason some of your classmates refused to take this is that you have to leave this city"

Ah yes, the reality. I have to leave because this work is in another city. Leaving my parents could be hard but it might be worth it. After all, they are perfectly fine. I could at least try to be better.

I look at the paper in my hand and lean on the wall behind me, staring at the sky. It was bright today and pretty hot. Pushing the paper into my bag and making my way to the bakery I wondered if I could live on my own.

My father would encourage me, he even offered to help me if I was stuck. The problem here is, can I live on the income I get? Apartments for a single person can be a bit expensive.

***

"So yesterday I was looking through those old papers and guess what, I found that picture-" I smiled at my co-worker who talked about her day. We were distracted. we did not notice someone coming up to the counter.

She looked behind and her words suddenly stop as she pushed herself off the counter she was leaning on. I turned my head and I really regretted that. My body froze for a second before moving to the counter and learning my throat.

"Wha-what would you like to order Sir?"

"Coffee, Black."

Well, that was a boring order. I print his receipt and accept his money. My eyes couldn't meet his, I found it a bit too hard to do, I was shaking because I was scared he would stalk me.

And that's exactly what he did. I sigh, stopping in the middle of walking home and turning around to glare at him.

"Why are you following me!?" I yelled but his face was just neutral.

"Look, I will call the cops on you if you don't stop. I already gave you those papers the minute I left my work. What else do you want?" I kept rambling on. I forgot to see how he started walking near me. Unlike the distance, he kept from me while following me like a creep.

I gasp as a hand wrapped around my waist and I was pulled into his chest. I felt myself bump into his chest roughly as my hands rest over his torso. My mouth hung open slightly with confusion and shock.

"There, you don't even want to look me in the eyes now Isla. Was I that bad to you?"

I gulp. My eyes slowly traveled up him, his defined collarbone, and his jaw. It was all too perfect to be true. He looked so rough, not something I wanted to remember.
His white wrinkled shirt, those two buttons undone letting his tattooed skin peep out it wasn't there when I knew him back. I stopped myself from letting those memories consume my mind.

I dare to look into his eyes.

"Can you be sure he won't hurt you?" He said, his grey eyes clouded in something like sorrow, or worry staring back at mine and I lay on the floor.

I gasp pushing him away as my eyes widened. My heartbeat picked it's pace up as I started shaking with fear, I felt like I was suffocating. My throat went dry, and my eyes staring at the floor go blurred in seconds.

"You-You can't be," I said as he leaned down to push my hair out of my face. I could feel his touch even if those fingers never touched my skin.

"Don't worry. I'm here" he said wrapping his arm around my waist and grabbing my bag.

"Let me drop your home"

I refuse, although my chest hurt, my panic set in quickly and my body turned cold. I refused his help. Because of him, I remembered what happen years ago.

"Brandon? What are you doing?-Brandon !"

"No! don't come near me! I-I don't want your help" His eyes dropped as I grabbed my bag from him and pushed my hair back walking away from him. But my legs went numb as I stopped. My throat hurt, I was panicking and I was well aware that it had been ages since I left like this. I thought I was over it, but just the thought of it made me numb.

"You don't seem well, I'll drop you home"

I yelled as he picked me up like a child in his arms and walked like I weighed nothing.

"Jaxson! Put me down! please, let me go! I don't wanna be associated with you !" I shout hitting his chest but he did not listen. Putting me down and opening the car door. He snatched my bag from me and pushed me inside.

"Do as I say Isla. You don't want me to be bad" I stopped struggling.

My heartbeat jumped as he brushed his fingers on my cheek and helped me inside.

I stayed quiet, looking out the window.

I knew he wasn't gonna kidnap me or kill me because we knew each other. Since we were young. But some friendships stay, some forget, and some turn into murders. Or just mine. I was scared of Jaxson for a completely different reason.

I was scared because I knew how he was, I knew how he had no control over his dark side. That day, years ago. I saw the real Jaxson. All the blood, all that anger, and tears.

There was a moment when he saved me, but then I remember what he did and I was back again feeling scared for my life again.

"He does not know"

I felt my heart jump out of my chest.

"I stopped my contact with that family years ago" He spoke never glancing at me. I believed him this time. Just this time because it was obvious.

"But he is not dead"

I could feel that dark red memory spreading through my mind and causing my body to slowly turn cold. The minute he stopped in front of my house I opened the door grabbed my bag and ran out

I slammed my front door shut loudly grabbing my parent's attention.

"Isla? You trying to break my front door ?" Mom yelled from the kitchen.

I gulp walking towards the stairs with my foggy mind.

"Isla? What is it?" She asked looking at me. But I continued walking with my head down. Her hand over my elbow made me flinch as she pulled away.

"Sorry, Mia-mom" I correct myself and walked upstairs falling on my bed and closing my eyes, and letting my memories flood my mind.