4 - Bastard

I will never recall a time I was happier to see the town of Draycottcome into view.

Driving at a law-breaking speed, I turned like a maniac onto Duward Street. Lucian's car was faster than I had predicted. On more than one occasion I had come close to crashing into another pedestrian, but some magical luck kept me alive. I slowed down, passing the DraycottLibrary.

Duck yellow tape with the word Police was wrapped around the border of the library. Security was the heaviest around the alleyway where Lucian had killed the man. No one usually cared about anything that happened in Draycott. Drugs and rape went on every night, yet the cops ignored it all. But the murder had brought extra protection to the town.

I bet it was some super rich politician that he killed. Why else would police give two damns about any murder that happened here? It was such a common event.

I drove past the commotion and turned onto my block. The run-down apartment building came into view. At least it wasn't up in flames like I had expected to see. Hoping against hope that Flora was okay, I parked the wicked car and jumped out.

Lucian was on my tail, no doubt, but I wouldn't leave without a fight. If not for my own life, then for Flora's at least. She would have no protection or safety left in Draycott. Mother was useless in every way; we had even forgotten there was another person living with us. Flora couldn't live like that, and I didn't care what Lucian did about it. I would never let anything happen to my little sister. Flora was basically all I had left.

The stairs seemed longer. My feet pounded each wooden step. Sweat trickled down my neck, matting my shirt to my body. I felt disgusting and itchy, and my pink hair blew into my face with every movement. I wretched myself up the last few steps and ran into the house.

The living room was like we had left it. The table was still broken from where that man had crashed into, and the lamp lay in dangerous shards. Beer bottles and hints of cocaine littered the floor with rolled up dollar bills under the stained couch. Mother was nowhere to be seen. Panic gripped my chest so hard that I found it hard to move. Forcing myself to walk, I went to the kitchen. A huge wave of relief crashed into me at the innocent sight of Flora.

She was sitting at the table, eating cereal. Other than the milk bag dripping onto the floor, the pots and pans spilling from the cabinets, and little pieces of cereal on the floor, nothing was out of the ordinary. The kitchen was a mess, but at least Flora was okay.

"Victoria!" she cried. I smiled and knelt down to her height as she attacked me with a hug. Her bright smile did not diminish. I brushed her hair back with my fingers as best as I could and led her back to the table.

"Where were you? I thought you left me." Flora asked through a mouthful of cereal. I walked over to the hallway mirror, making sure I could still keep an eye on her, and began brushing my own hair back. My pink hair looked even more candy-colored from the light shining through the window. Sweat, dried tears, and ruined mascara trailed down my face. I walked to the sink and threw cold water onto my face.

"I had something to do." I lied. "But I came back, didn't I? I would never leave you, Flora. What did you do last night after....after those people visited us?"

"I hid under my bed. I didn't know if they were bad people, Vicky. I couldn't tell. I heard someone screaming. I stayed under my bed until I couldn't hear anything anymore, and then I came out. You and those people were gone. Mommy was in the bathroom. Victoria, why was she sleeping in the bathtub? She looked silly. What did you do?"

"I had to see some friends. They- er, they needed help with....homework. I'm sorry if I scared you last night, it was just all very sudden. But that doesn't matter how. What matters is that we're both safe." I dried my face off with a napkin.