34 | Inherit the World's Wishes

The picture above is a little reminder that sometimes we need a word of encouragement to keep going.  You got this.

Chapter 34: Inherit the World's Wishes

Julia and I sat opposite each other at the Mad Batter bakery.  We were drinking vanilla bean frappes out of china teacups and eating our feelings. 

"This is huge. You must be the first non-model that Luke Dawson has ever talked to."

"It's been a crazy summer," I said.

Cupcakes and a topsy-turvy cake were on plates between us. The tablecloth was green like grass and a plastic pink flamingo had salt and pepper shakers on its back. 

I had told Julia the entire story. She had forgotten all about her South Beach diet.

"I am so jealous right now," she said, stuffing a piece of cake into her mouth, "I can't believe I haven't been around to see this. I always knew your car was lucky."

"Lucky? You do realize I am at his beck and call until I pay off the damages. That isn't lucky in anyone's books."

"It is when your master is Luke Dawson. It's as kinky as Fifty Shades."

"If I was the Playboy model type," I swallowed a spoonful of frosting. "Your phone's ringing."

"Advertisements," she said, switching her phone off.

Not before I saw the caller ID: Cearra. 

That's the first time she has ever ignored Cearra.

"Oh my god. Speaking of gods," Julia stared at someone behind me, "Jake just walked in.  Have you heard about him while you've been flirting over broken laptops?  He's the delicious new kid at school.  Lexi said-"

"Hey Millie."

Jake was coming over to our table. He didn't realize he was interrupting Julia talking about him. Julia dropped her spoon.

I waved at him. 

"I didn't expect to see you Tuesday night," he said in his usual laid-back style.

"Not my scene?" I guessed what he meant. Austin's grotto was a mood.

"Not mine either," he smiled, "I don't want to intrude on your chat but I bought textbooks for school so you won't have to strain your neck sharing yours."

"I didn't mind," I smiled back.

"Well thanks anyway.  You made my first week." 

He walked away and I took another bite of the topsy-turvy cake.

I looked at Julia. "What?"

She was staring at me like I was an alien.

"Did you inherit the world's wishes?"

I didn't know how to respond. So my body pressed repeat. "What?"

"Where's your genie in a lamp?" she went on, "I can't believe you. You have no friends at all except for the two hottest boys in school."

I considered it for a moment, "It is weird, isn't it."

"It's plain crazy."

We finished our dessert at the Mad Batter before going home.

**

Flora was waiting for me in my bedroom. She swiveled around in my red chair like Dr Evil.

"How did you know about the party on Tuesday?"

"I was invited to it," I replied, expecting some flashlight to shine in my face like in an interrogation room.