111 - Lovely

For the past couple of weeks, the Prince and I would often go to the Palace. Whether it's at the Empress quarters or the Emperor's study, the Prince is always at my side. True to his words, the Prince kept close to me - not letting me out of sight even for a moment.

"Ruyi, what do you think?"

Currently, we were in the Crown Princess private quarters. The Crown Prince and Princess have recently started to call me "Ruyi" - making me feel somewhat shy. Only the Prince had ever call me by name - so to hear someone else say my name felt strange.

"Royal Mother had spent days making them. Every embroidery work is done personally by Royal Mother"

Prince Hao Ran - the Crown Princess' oldest son, was also with us when he made the comment. Sitting beside the Crown Prince - his father, Prince Hao Ran shared the same friendly smiles.

"Here"

In front of me were several beautiful baby clothing - each were made in shade of green silk. Every one of them had the royal emblem of a dragon. The small clothing brought a smile to me face. I have never seen anything so lovely.

"Do you like them?"

The Prince placed a hand behind my head and stroke my hair. Turning my smiles to him, I nodded quietly.

"They're so small" I couldn't help but laugh softly at the soft, miniature clothing.

Chuckling, the Prince rubbed my cheek before he to the Crown Princess.

"Thank you Royal Aunt"

The Crown Princess was startled with quickly recovered, giving a bright smile.

"You know I've chosen the fabric" The Crown Prince cut in. "The spider silk fabric were difficult to obtain"

The Crown Princess covered her lips in attempt to hide her laughter, while Prince Hao Ran closed his eyes and shook his head slightly.

"Thank you Royal Uncle"

The Crown Prince beam and laughed, waving his the back of his hand as if it was no big deal.

"His Majesty and her Majesty has arrived"

At the sudden announcement, everyone stood to greet the Emperor and Empress.

"Oh? What do we have here?"

The Emperor strode into the room and sat at the head seat where the Crown Prince just sat in. The Empress quietly followed, sitting beside him.

"The Crown Princess have put much effort in these"

The eunuch had brought some of the baby clothing over to the Emperor to observe.

"You seem confident that it will be a Prince"

The Emperor chuckled softly at the small dragon embroidery. No phoenix were sewn - just small baby dragons.

"Yes your Majesty" The Crown Princess smiled and looked at my stomach. "Ruyi's stomach is big and round. She prefer salty and sour food. And she told me she barely feel any morning sickness. Empress Mother, does that not all point to a baby prince?"

The Empress who heard all the symptoms, nodded with a small smile. The Emperor laughed with delight at the Empress confirmation.

"Prince or princess, I will give reward. Princess Quan Yi, what would you like?"

When everyone suddenly look at me, I hesitated. Looking at the small clothing in my hand, I felt courage like I never had before.

"Your Majesty... Prince or princess, Ruyi only ask his Majesty to name the child"

The surprised look on everyone face made me nervous. I knew it was bold of me to ask the Emperor to give my child a name. For an Emperor to give a name is equivalent to him bestowing a title. I felt guilty for the greed I swore never to touch upon.

"Foolish woman..." The Prince scolded me while his hand took hold of mine.

I didn't care to be called foolish. Any chance I am given to pave my child's future, I would take it.

"I will put much thought to your child's name" The Emperor's voice was gentle.

Seeing the small smiles on the Emperor's face, I was relieved.

Soon after, Prince Hao Ran guided Prince Wu Jian and Ruyi out of the Palace. The Emperor watched quietly at the way his grandson held onto Li Ruyi's shoulders while he protectively placed a hand on her stomach.

"I see why Jian is so smitten by Li Ruyi"

The Crown Prince was the first to speak when the young group left.

"Yes, Li Ruyi is too lovely not to be charmed"

The Crown Princess smiles softly while she glanced over at the Empress. The Emperor had long noticed his Empress silence. No one knew behind his unreadable facade was disappointment. Emperor Huizhong had expected his Empress to have better foresight. Living this long - as the Empress of Wu Xi, what kind of women has she come not across? Beauty, kindness, grace, conniving, cunning, and manipulative - what kind of women should she, as the Empress do not know of? But because of her own favoritism, she has blinded herself - refusing to see reason.

Li Ruyi was pure - too pure. Unexpectedly, she reminded Emperor Huizhong of his son Prince Hai Quan. His pure son with no evil thoughts or greed had selflessly dipped his hands in blood for his family. Not once did his son ask rewards for himself. Not once did he accepted anything given to him. The only time that he did ask was when his Wang Fei was with child.

"Your Majesty... Prince or princess, Quan only ask Royal Father to name the child"

Emperor Huizhong sighed softly while he glanced over at his Empress. He wondered why his Empress refused to acknowledge the lovely woman who was as pure as their once beloved son.