Chapter 7: For Whom the School Bell Tolls

"Great job today, Y/n," Pearl complimented as they completed another day of training, the third to be exact as they warped back to the temple, "Same time tomorrow?"

"Err... I can't do tomorrow, I've got school starting," Y/n told

"School... The place where you humans go and learn," Pearl said, "This training is much more worth your time than the silly school,"

"Well, unfortunately if I don't go to school, I'm going to jail," Y/n told, "Otherwise, I'd agree with you,"

"Right... That pesky little problem," Pearl murmured as she and Y/n stepped into the temple, "I'm sure exactly what they teach you at this "school", but I'm sure it's nothing difficult, if you find yourself stuck on a subject, I can help you out,"

"Oh, thank you," Y/n smiled, "I appreciate the offer,"

"Well, anything for my best student," Pearl laughed

"Yo," Amethyst lazily waved to Y/n as they walked in

"Hey! Is Steven here?" Y/n asked

"Nah, he's with Connie," Amethyst told

"Ah, alright," Y/n said as they gulped down some water, "I should probably head back and get ready for tomorrow... School's starting,"

"Alright," Amethyst said simply, "Try not to get kicked out of this one,"

"I promise nothing," Y/n joked as they walked out of the house, "See you guys later,"

"See ya!" Amethyst said as Y/n left

-------

"You're up on time," Mr. Fryman commented as Y/n walked down the steps in school uniform the next day

"Yep," Y/n nodded as they went for the door

"Wait, I made you some breakfast," Mr. Fryman said as he gestured to a plate of fries

"Fries for breakfast?" Y/n asked

"Yeah, why not?" Mr. Fryman asked

"You've got me there," Y/n laughed as they took a handful and ate quickly, drinking from their water bottle.

"Alright, do... you need a ride there?" Mr. Fryman asked

"Nah, I think I can take the bus," Y/n said, "Thank you though,"

"No problem," Mr. Fryman said, "Now don't be late,"

"I'll try not to be," Y/n said as they opened the door to leave, "Thanks for breakfast,"

"No problem," Mr. Fryman said as Y/n left for the bus

Y/n plugged in their headphones and selected a song as they walked west from the boardwalk and into the streets, finding the bus stop and sitting on the bench nearby.

"Hey," A familiar boy mumbled as he sat on the opposite side of the bench, headphones in as well.

"Hey," Y/n nodded in acknowledgment, "Lars... Right?"

"Mhm," He nodded, keeping his gaze off in the distance.

Y/n nodded again, getting the feeling Lars didn't want to talk, so the two sat in silence as the bus arrived. Y/n got on first and moved to the back and sat down, while Lars took a seat in the middle, staring out the window like he was in a dramatic music video. The bus rolled along slowly, stopping at a few other stops before making its way to a stop near the school. Lars and Y/n both walked off, heading in the same direction.

"So, you're the kid with the criminal record?" Lars asked

"How'd you know?" Y/n asked

"Rumors spread quick," Lars shrugged, "You... don't seem like a bad person... like the rumors say,"