Friends to Enemies to Goodbye

DISCLAIMER: This fanfic is inspired by "In 27 Days" by HonorintheRain.

     There was only one man on the planet whose betrayal I could never forgive. He goes by the abhorrent name of Jeon Jungkook.

     We were friends when were little. He resembled a bunny with his goofy, toothful smile. I remember playing on the swing sets with him during recess.           
        We'd never be afraid to ask questions to help each other with work, occasionally giggling and turning to each other when a joke was made in the classroom.

Jungkook and I weren't the closest friends, but we admired each other's work ethic and kindness. We had a connection. Whether it was in the classroom or playground, we had similar friends and developed a mutual respect for each other.

        But one day in 6th grade, he stopped talking to me and we had a lot of heat between us ever since.

        For a month, he completely ignored me, but then he began humiliating me in class. As the years went by, the bad blood between us became worse and worse.

If I received a citizen of the month award, he had to get three that year. If a teacher complimented me, next day he'd be "buddy buddy" with the teacher and made sure the teacher preferred him over me.

        We're both decently intelligent and diligent students. I'm not valedictorian-level, but in the top 10% of my class. But I have to work damn HARD, putting my blood sweat and tears for my grades.   

       Meanwhile Jungkook seems like he has a social life, plays sports, has his shit together, yet pulls off amazing grades flawlessly.

       We were very competitive with each other, but not in a friendly cute way. More like it disgusted us to see the other one succeed.

      He sometimes plays pranks on me, but not adorably annoying pranks, similar to how a guy would tease his crush. Oh no. They were pranks to demolish my mentality.

In middle school, he placed a 20 dollar bill underneath the school computer that he knew I usually used. After class ended, I went to my favorite computer. I was reeled in by the bait Jungkook put underneath the keyboard.

         Out of curiosity, I pick the bill up and held in my hands. Right after, I immediately gave the money to the librarian and asked her to put it in the Lost and Found. Jungkook recorded the entire spectacle on his phone.

       He cut parts of the video, to make it seem like I found the money and was intending to keep it. He spread it around school, and for a whole semester I was known as "Twenty Dolla Thief".

        And of course I pull some pranks too for revenge. And besides the occasional pranks, we barely acknowledge each other. Barely say hi. Barely knew each other. But we absolutely despise each other. Our discontent between each other's success grew with great intensity each and everyday.

I decided to never forgive Jungkook. His actions weren't the worst cruelty, but it felt like ultimate betrayal to me. How could so much hostility sprout from a once blossoming friendship?

       Everybody knew about the animosity between us. They didn't understand why it lasted-we aren't in the same friends' circle or popularity level. They didn't get why we would feel threatened enough by each other to hurt each other's lives.

      I didn't comprehend it either. But Jungkook started the silent "Cold War" between us, and I was determined to win.

      The shenanigans continue for years. But one day, he pulled a trick which really pissed me off. He lied to my partner about the due date of a project, and thus we hand it in late.