Prologue

"James McGregor, CEO of McGregor industries, has passed away yesterday evening after a long battle with cancer. James McGregor, aged 63, was one of the-"

Elizabeth shut the TV off, she couldn't bear to listen to this... She had been there when it happened, she did not need it to be repeated.

She poured herself another glass of Whiskey and brought it up to her mouth intending on throwing it down in one go. For a second she wavered, doubting whether this form of grieving was a good idea...

She held the glass up and looked at the orange liquid that was inside it. Sighing as she remembered the first time she had drunk whiskey. 

It had been with Mr. McGregor, he had just closed a business deal and looked to celebrate. Opening the globe in his office he removed a bottle of 20-year Whiskey and two glasses. 

Without asking her if she drunk at all he poured her a glass. She sat there not knowing how to respond as he handed it to her. 

"I don't know if you drink. And I won't ask you, but please have a toast with me to the deal." He had said with a kind smile. 

She chuckled to herself thinking back at it. Remembering the burning sensation as it slid down her throat making her cough. Ever since that moment, she hadn't touched the stuff, until now. She hung her head low and threw the Whiskey down the kitchen drain before heading off to bed. 

It was a week after James McGregor's death that his son walked into his office. James jr. was quite an intimidating man at his height of 6'4. He entered the building in his Armani suit striding across the hallway. 

The second his foot touched the marble floor everyone fell quiet. For they hadn't seen James jr. in this very building in nearly three years.

The secretary that sat behind the counter nervously picked up the phone and spoke, "He's here." 

People parted as he made his way to the elevator and took it up all the way to the top floor. 

He felt little to no emotion as he left the elevator. At this point, he was alone, away from all the stares. 

He took a look around, taking in everything that had changed. Last time that he had been here there had been no paintings, no flowers and overall no decoration. 

He walked past the empty desk of the personal assistant, noting the fact that it was empty. He had heard of the so-called 'perfect' personal assistant and had expected her to be sitting there. 

As he walked into his father's office and immediately reached for the phone. 

"Come up here, now," he said to the secretary at the other and of the line. 

Natalie had been scared from the moment that she saw him this would happen. In fact, she had been scared from the moment that she had heard that he would come to the office. She had been working at McGregor industries for the last five years as the secretary and in those five years, she had met James Jr. three times. 

The first time had been after she had only worked there for a month. He had been partying at the time and photographs had appeared in the news. His father had not been particularly pleased with his actions and cussed him out in front of the entire office. 

The second time was well over a year later, she could see that he had changed. Instead of his usual jeans and leather jacket, he was wearing a vest with matching trousers. His hair had actually been combed and his stubble was gone. This time the meeting with his father was different. They spoke more as a boss and employee then as a father and son. 

The last and final time that she had seen him was a little less than three years ago. This time he was wearing a full-on suit. He had an argument with his father as he stormed out of the building, no one really knew what the argument had been about, all they knew was that after that, he never visited his father at work again. 

Now he was back again. The second she saw him entering she knew what she had to do. She had to tell Elizabeth to leave, and she did. But she also knew that he would want to know where Elizabeth was. 

She ran up to the elevator and took it up to the top floor. During the ride up she made sure to straighten her dress and fix her hair before she calmly walked out of it. Almost holding her breath she walked over to the man currently in her old bosses office. 

"You called?" She said standing in the door opening. James turned around to face the blonde woman. "Where is she?"