Chapter 28- The Return of Erised

Unfortunately, Quin's love for Malfoy faded as fast. Tom thought they made a cuter couple by far and it would've been an extra bonus to have two rivals off his back. However, by the next day, the entire incident had been wiped from Quin's mind. Thankfully the memories would remain with Tom and Frankie for at least a little more time. For a few months, they gave each other random knowing looks whenever Merrythought assigned Malfoy and Quin as spell practicing partners. It was a fun little secret they shared. Although, Tom had to fight to keep his straight emotionless face occasionally when he thought about it. Sometimes in Slytherin dorms, he'd just glance over at Malfoy for a moment and start cackling. It frightened the other boys a lot. Their leader in such a state was a terrifying sight to behold, but they would not dare ask what was the matter with him. Unless they wanted to end up 'falling' off a moving staircase, or have some other cruel accident befall them, they would let him laugh on and not ask questions.

It was soon June once again and springtime was slowly starting to get ready for summer. However, it also meant it was exam time at Hogwarts. So, instead of getting excited for summer, everyone was getting stressed over end of term examinations.

Well, almost everyone.

Tom and Frankie were probably the only two in the school that held no joy about the summer holiday. It meant they'd have to go back to the orphanage. So, they threw themselves into studying, soaking in the magic while they could before their skills were left to dust over the summer. They would often study at the tree by the lake. It was a lot more secluded and quieter than the library or the Great Hall. Also, it was probably the only place they were allowed to study together.

"I can never remember. What year was the Goblin rebellion first formed?" Frankie asked. It was after lessons and the two were sitting surrounded by various textbooks in the lush green grass.

"You should know this by now. Come on!" Tom urged, sounding a little agitated. It was something they had learned a while ago, but she still should have been able to easily remember it. "It was formed in the year 627."

"The Goblin rebellion in 627." she chimed, in a singsong sort of voice. Tom had not wanted to admit what made it so easy to remember was the fact that it rhymed, so he had chosen his words carefully. She still figured it out though.

"Yes—do you think you can remember that?"

"I've got it now."

"It's astounding you can't remember a date when you're nearly teaching our entire History of Magic class." Tom sighed, sounding as though he was giving up on her. "You're completely hopeless at this stuff—you know that?"

"I am not." Frankie protested, with a small pout. He tried not to crack a small smile at her adorable, childish frustration. It was truly one of his greatest joys in life playfully to tease her.

"We shall see. Hopefully, I won't have to be going here alone next year..." Tom added. He really was just taunting her. She was the only candidate for Gryffindor prefect and Head Girl in the near future. He often considered Frankie to be one of the only intelligent people he knew other than most of the teachers.

They were in a world of their own for a moment, then Tom suddenly backed away from her and glared down the path behind them. Someone was coming. As always when there was another person around, Tom could sense their presence and had to put up his guard immediately. However, he soon realized this person was no one of power or influence, or a fellow classmate who could tell the year of their affair. He need not ever worry about Professor Dumbledore. He wasn't a threat, but more of a frustrating element. At this point, Frankie had mostly forgiven Dumbledore for concealing the truth about her past, but Tom still thought very ill of him. He'd never completely trusted Dumbledore in the first place and something in the pit of his stomach told him that there were still more lies being concealed from them.