WT1| Interlude - 07

"People don't understand,memories do

memories do."

"Come on, big head

"Come on, big head. Tell me you were at the game last night, bro." Chris said, sitting in front of me with the biggest smile I had ever seen. He looked like a brown skin version of the Kool Aid man, "oh yeah" face. "It was a big ass fight out in the field and then one popped up in the stands too, son. It was crazzzy."

I laughed, shaking my head. "Yeah, I heard about it but I wasn't there because y'know my dad strict with the curfew." I reminded him.

Chris nodded. "Yeah, yeah." He replied, shooing what I was saying with his hand.

It was senior year, semester two, and everything seemed to be heating up as far as sports and academics. I wasn't a big sports player like Chris was but I definitely came to all of his football games and track meets.

I was "the" best friend; the one that supported everything right and wrong. We were so close that some people thought we were fucking on the low, but he was like a brother to me and I wasn't with that incest shit.

Around this time, everyone was trying to figure out what they were wearing to prom and just who the hell they were going with, what college, how many scholarships can they get, and who's winning prom king and queen. It wasn't to anyone's surprise that I was focused on the very same thing.

I had no worries on my shoulder; I didn't have a sick mother, missing sisters, or anything but the weight of my academic courses to worry about back then and I loved it.

But it was the opposite for Chris.

"So, I don't know if I'm going to prom..." Chris told me, looking down at his fingers as he drummed them repeatedly on my desk.

I looked around at the mostly empty classroom since everyone had went to the lab to finish their assignments but since ours was already done we stayed behind and watched whatever Mr. Parks put on the projector.