Chapter 38

Cecelia pov:
Of course the rat incident scared me out of my mind. But honestly what did I expect?
I was living on the other side of Brooklyn where the hoodlums roamed. I won't complain though it could have been another way.

If Whitley were here she'd have a fit. I got up to fix breakfast but I noticed the guys had no real food in their cabinets or even refrigerators. I know they don't have a healthy diet. I guess I would have do some grocery shopping today. I wrote down a note saying I was leaving to go to the store, then placed the sticky note on the refrigerator.

After leaving the apartment complex. I took Devante's headphones with me with my tape recorder. Hope he wouldn't mind, sometimes he would spazz out over little things like this like some kid who lost in Pokémon. When I walked into the store an elderly Asian lady was staring me down following me on every corner. " can I help you?" She asked in her unknown accent.

" Oh no mi-misses yang I'm just picking up some grocery." I read her name tag and then assured her. " you not with black kids?" She asked confused then I too became confused. She pointed out to the window where 2 little black boys were standing outside the door eating hot fries and holding big cigars in their hands. " oh no I don't know them I live a couple of blocks down there with my husband."

I thurally explained pointing to the left of the building. It was sad that I had to explain who I was to be a consumer just because I was black. She nodded her head I assumed she understood what I said to her. Nonetheless I continued to shop buying a carton of milk and 12 dozen eggs. I also bought two loafs of bread then packaged lettuce the same for tomatoes. Then I brought the sliced ham and sliced cheddar cheese. There seemed to be instant grits stacked up on the shelf I grabbed those and went to the counter grabbing my purse to pay for all the food I had just picked up.

"25.12" she informed. I payed for the food with a fake grin plastered on my face. I exited out the small storefront. Misses yang came out waving at me "come back again!" Won't be shopping there anymore.

I walked back to the apartment using my key to unlock the door only to see Devante putting his coat on. Then he stared at me like a deer with headlights. Jojo came behind him. " oh you back." JoJo said. " yeah I got some food for y'all." I said holding up the grocery bags. Devante jaw was clenched and he was mean mugging me  but he still helped with the groceries. " is there a problem?" I asked irritated with my eyebrows raised and eyeballs rather wide. "

you just gonna leave with out telling me?" He asked a attitude evident in his tone. " so you can't read now?" I asked back being sassy. I pointed to the note I left earlier on the fridge. Donald then looked back at JoJo giving him a look like help me out man. " my name is Bennett and I ain't in it." JoJo said hunching shoulders going sit down in the kitchen.

Donald turned his attention back to me sighing. " I should have looked for the note my bad. But please if I'm not up get one of the boys to go with you."  He demanded. It didn't take rocket science to understand why. " I'm sorry you were worried?" I asked softly. " yea girl can't lose you out here.

This not North Carolina so you can't just go off like it's a walk in the park you'll get robbed in day light and no one would help you." He explained laughing. " well I'm gonna start breakfast for you guys. So go sit down and make yourself comfortable." I demanded pushing him on the sofa "okay mom."

He said sarcastically. I walked into the tiny kitchen starting on the eggs cracking them and dumping it the bowl I spreading cheese adding common ingredients like salt and pepper.

After mixing it for quite a while I put it in the skillet placed on the now turned on stove. Then I put the instant grits in a pot putting butter  in it with salt and pepper. Lastly putting strips of bacon in a pan. I heard footsteps coming out of the room beside me and De's. Kci came out with his bird chest and skinny legs in shorts stretching out and yawning with nostrils growing wider smelling the food I guess. He then came back down from his high rubbing his hands together like he was orchestrating a evil plan. " oh snap some food."

" yea it'll be done in a minute." I yelled from the kitchen laughing.  " man can we share your wife?" Kci joked with Devante. Devante tensed up at K's joke. " you better impregnate her! trap her!" He joked again while JoJo shook his head lightly chuckling. I frowned at him giving him signal to chill out with the jokes de didn't take to kindly.  " okay okay Imma stop." He said calming down.
"Foods ready!" I announced. " my nigga." Dalvin said cheesing at me while I handed him his plate. I placed de and JoJo plates on the table while Devante swiftly grabbed his plate. " dang boo you must be hungry!" I reacted. " you don't know the half of it." He answered hungrily filling his mouth with food. I left to because I had to change my pads yes I was on my period. After I finished practicing my feminine hygiene I went to go get my plate but all the food was gone. And just to think I thought I made more than enough, guess you can never be sure. " who stole my plate?" I yelled making them alert as they stared at the small tv screen in front of the sofa. " oh I thought that was a extra plate my bad." Kci apologized hunching his shoulders from side to side. I internally cursed to myself. " baby I'm sorry, you want me to feed you ?I got a bacon and grits left on my plate."

Devante offered. " please do." I answered him. I sat down on the couch beside him trying to take the fork out his hand. " nope. I'm gonna feed you." I huffed and puffed my cheeks at his childishness. " open your mouth baby." He demands. I opened my mouth and he put the grits in my mouth. I did a great job. I boasted internally. He came closer to my ear whispering while putting the spoon in my mouth once again. " you always taking care of me so I wanna do the same for you." He whispered deeply in my ear. It tickled my neck and I pushed him to the side while he laughed at my expression. After I finished the plate I demanded all the boys to wash the dishes cause I wasn't their maid whether they wanted to believe that or not. I heard the phone ring in the living room but then Dalvin got it. " we gotta go to the studio de!" Dal announced. " alright bet baby we gotta bounce." De said puckering his lips to kiss my cheek with his keys dangling in his coat pocket.

"Can I go?" I asked hurriedly I didn't want to be home alone and I wasn't occupied since I wasn't in school. " baby I would but-" " but what?" I asked him. " you'll be distracting me I can't concentrate with you walking around the studio looking like you looking." He said filling my head up. " please? I want be in the way de." I said hoping he would give in. "Okay you can come, come with us." He said. I kissed his face all over Saying thank you. "Yeah yeah yeah." He said playfully rolling his eyes.

Later
I walked in the uptown building that was full of assistants and artists. I heard a room being filled with noise and a guy rapping in the back ground. Father mc. "Why girls play with my feelings... " I heard him rhyme then k got in the booth along with the rest of the guys singing a hook. "Treat em like they wanna be treated you should treat em righhht." Kci was the loudest one right now and I heard Devante's voice stacked on the bottom. After I stopped snooping on their studio time I exited to another room that read Mary j blige. She was singing a hook for something too. I heard the words and started humming them a little loud standing in the corner of the room.

" you!" A man said pointing at me. "Huh?" I asked off guard. " you wanna make $50 bucks? I heard you singing you sound pretty good." " umm sure." I answered uncertain. " I need you to harmonize on that hook with Mary." He instructed. I nodded my head waiting for the music to cue me. Once the music started I bobbed my head blending with the girl mary. The song read I'll do for you the beat was phat as de would say. Then Devante came in the studio looking at me through the glass furrowing his eyebrows.
Oops guess I found something to do.
Update 🌹