Face Down

"He hasn't spoken a word to me all morning" Kaya sobbed as she turned to her gay best friend Corey and her grandmother.

Kaya had called an emergency brunch all though she hated to eat in public places, she desperately needed someone to vent to.

She had known Corey since high school, he was a high strung, a high spirited gay man who channeled his inner Yonce whenever possible.

Today he decided to grace Kaya with his Chanel Heels, ripped black skinny jeans, and a crop top that said, "Pride comes in several shades, so have a seat".

Corey's personality was as loud and rude as his highlighter and lip shade.

Kaya's grandmother, on the other hand, was a quiet, sweet reserved woman in her late eighties. She didn't have any teeth and suffered from dementia. Her memory would waver in and out but on a good day, she could have a conversation.

Corey flipped his strawberry blonde wig to the side, letting his bangs flow neatly to the side as he crinkled his nose, "Why did you bring, Godmother Time with you?? all her ancient dust is cramping my style and matting up my make-up" he complained dabbing his oily forehead.

Kaya rolled her eyes, "You know that every Tuesday we spend time together, after all, she raised me for part of my life"

Corey pursed his lips, "well you need to take her back to Bethlehem, and leave her dinosaur ass where you found her" he snapped annoyed.

Kaya gasped, "that's not how you talk to an elderly person" she scolded.

Corey put a long fingernail in Kaya's face, as he waved his hand dramatically, "no that is how you talk to a fossil, and second of all you know I have love for this expired crust bucket" he smiled flickering his butterfly eyelashes.

To the naked eye, it might seem as if Kaya and Corey were arguing but that was simply the nature of their friendship.

Kaya was bullied all through middle school and high school and Corey had been her only friend, who had stepped in and defended her. His rudeness was simply him showing his love and protection towards his best friend.

"You need a man!" Nana croaked startling both Kaya and Corey.

Corey grabbed his chest looking at Kaya's grandmother with surprise, "well damn it, go ahead and call life alert, she has risen from her prehistoric state" he laughed.

Kaya nibbled softly on her muffin, "I called you here to help me, not fight with Nana" she snapped.

Corey looked her square in the eye, giving her attitude for days, "I don't fight with spirits" he said dryly, "but you're right you have a real problem. Your problem started when you tried to turn your man's penis into a spicy Chalupa. You guys are newlyweds you don't need these type of problems." he pointed out.

Kaya groaned trembling, "I know! I messed up!"

Corey held her hand softly, "honey pea, you done burned hell and fire on that man and his Oscar-Myer wiener, like you were roasting it over a campfire! Keith just needs some time to recover" he hiccuped sadly in a dramatic manner.

Nana chirped up, "show him," she said before slumping over in her chair and snoring.

Corey's eye lit up, "I think ancient cavewoman has a point," he said excitedly.

Kaya listened, "What, I'll do anything!" she pleaded.

Corey clapped his hands together, "so show him that you're trying, do something brave and bold." he suggested.

Kaya rubbed her chin thinking hard, "well I could open a window in the house before noon" she suggested happily.

Corey raised a concerned eyebrow, as he leaned forward to whisper, "What the fuck is going on at your house? You got this man in penitentiary?? first, you tortured him this morning with acid lava, and now this...."