Chapter 37

Khloe's POV:

"It's snowing," I said quietly, eyes growing wide as I stared out the window.

I watched as the small white flakes fell soundly as the sun set behind the mountains, mindlessly setting down my sketchbook and sitting up onto my knees.

It had been so long since I had seen this sight, I had forgotten how much I loved it.

It was just so calming, watching each snowflake slowly fall to the earth.

"Really? Already?" I heard Nico say behind me.

He was beside me within seconds, setting his hands on the window sill near me as he leaned forward towards the window.

I put my hands near the window, feeling the cold air that came through it as Nico's eyes scanned the outside.

"Winter came early this year." He muttered, sounding kind of disappointed.

His disappointment caught me off guard, causing my braided hair to hit my back as I turned my head towards him.

What about winter could he be so upset about?

Winter was by far my favorite of the seasons.

"Is that a bad thing?" I asked.

He just shrugged.

"Not really, it just means that the blood collection is going to be cold which also means that the humans are going to be that much more unwilling to cooperate." He explained.

I was silent the for a moment before responding with a simple "Huh."

I had forgotten that the blood collection was tomorrow. That I was going to have to return to my city again and see a lot of the people that I had formerly known.

And now with the added variable that it was going to be cold.

I didn't really mind that aspect as much as the fact that people might recognize me.

Even so, I had decided that I would rather risk that than stay here alone most of the day tomorrow.

I have changed a lot since I was twelve so maybe they wouldn't be able to recognize me so easily.

My thoughts were cut short once I felt Nico's fingers slowly slide behind my neck, his thumb lightly skimming over the healing skin on my neck.

I turned towards him, goosebumps rising on my arms from his soft touch.

He was just looking at where he had bitten me two nights before, thinking about something that I couldn't quite decipher by just looking at his face.

But he almost looked guilty.

"H-how does it look?" I asked, the nervousness in my voice causing me to shift my eyes down out of embarrassment.

He pulled back his hand back.

"Fine." He began, "If the medicine works as its supposed to, it shouldn't leave a scar."

I gave him a silent nod, unsure of how else to respond.

For some reason, he really didn't want this bite to leave any sort of mark.

It was strange but I didn't question his actions.

A knock on his door sent both of our heads turning towards it.

Nico didn't tell me that anyone would be stopping by.

I looked towards him to see his tense stance mixed with his slightly confused expression.

Another knock came to the door, more frantically this time, telling that it wasn't one of the castle slaves.