Chapter 12

After what seemed like a few minutes to him, Alex opened his eyes and was surprised to see sunlight peeking in through the window. He turned to his clock. 9:14 AM. He simply stretched out his body and slowly got up. When he did, he heard a knock at his door.

“Come in!” he called in a tired voice. After a second, the door opened up, revealing Josie standing in the doorway wearing a white tank top and a baby blue skirt. She quickly stepped into the room and closed the door behind her, all the while not taking her eyes off Alex. Her face looked like she was upset about something.

“What’s wrong?” Alex asked, more awake and alert now. Josie slowly shook her head.

“Nothing,” she replied. “It’s just...well...”

“Well what?”

“Well...I’ve been thinking about something lately...and I’ve been meaning to tell you about it, but I never had the courage to...until now.”

“I’m not following you, Josie.”

“Well, it’s not something you’d expect me to say, but it’s gotta be done.”

“What does?” She continued to stare at Alex with a nervous face.

“Josie, you can tell me anything! You know that!” She just sighed.

“Promise not to freak out or anything?” she asked.

“Of course!”

Josie then deeply exhaled, tightly closed her eyes and quickly blurted out, “Alex, I think we should start repopulating the planet!”

She continued to stand there with her eyes tightly shut for a few more seconds, waiting for some sort of response. When there was none, she slowly opened up one eye, revealing Alex staring at her with his eyes widely opened and jaw dropped.

“Umm...” he started to say. He then stood there in silence. Finally, Josie opened her other eye and sighed.

“Forget it,” she told him with sadness in her voice. “I knew it was stupid to even suggest it. Sorry for wasting your time.” She then turned around and grabbed the door handle, but then she felt a hand on her shoulder.

“Wait, Josie!” she heard Alex say. He then turned her around so she was staring at him.

“It’s not that it’s a bad idea,” he told her, “it’s just...well...awkward.” She just scoffed with upset.

“Josie, it’s not like we’re dating or anything,” he continued. “We’re best friends. It’s not like we’ve ever had feelings for each other, right?” Josie then leaned her head down yet pointed her eyes towards Alex’s.

“Alex...that’s what I’ve been trying to tell you these last few days,” she responded. She then reached and grabbed Alex’s hand.

“Alex...I kinda like you. Like...more than a best friend or a brother.” Alex just stared at her with shock. Was this really what she was hiding?

“Well...why have you never told me this?” he asked. Josie slowly shrugged in response.

“I don’t know,” she responded. “I guess I was just afraid you didn’t feel the same way back. I mean, we’ve had a great friendship; I didn’t want to ruin it by telling you this, you not feeling the same, and making it awkward for both of us.” Alex continued to stare at her. He then let out a small laugh. Josie just closed her eyes and sighed.

“I guess I was right, huh?” she murmured. Alex just smiled, placed his finger on her chin, and turned her head up so she was face-to-face with him. When he did, she opened her eyes, which showed slight hints of watering.