Chapter 13

Alex was in for quite a surprise when Sunflower called them all up 30 minutes later.

“That smell...” he gasped. “It smells like...dough! And maple syrup!!” Sunflower just smiled.

“That’s because it is!” she replied. She then pointed at the counter, which had a large plate of freshly cooked waffles on it!

“Sunflower, how did you know waffles are my favorite breakfast food?!” he demanded. She just winked.

“I have my sources,” she replied, and then started placing the waffles on plates. Alex stood there for a few seconds before turning to Josie, who was staring at him with a giant smile.

“You said you wished you could have them back, didn’t you?” she asked. Alex smiled back at her and then ran and hugged her tightly.

“This is why I’m glad you care for me,” he told her happily. “Thanks.”

“Any time,” she replied. “After all, it’s what friends do!” Alex just stared at her for a second. He thought he saw a look in her eyes he hadn’t seen before. It was a look that he had only seen in cheesy romance movies. Again, before he could think too much about it, Sunflower told them they could get their waffles. He then walked over to the counter and grabbed a plate.

“These smell better than my mom’s!” he told Sunflower. “And that’s saying something!” Sunflower just chuckled.

“Well thank you, then!” she responded. “Now, eat up!”

ERT! ERT! ERT! They all just paused and groaned.

“This better be a quick one!” Freddy finally said. They all then set their plates down and headed for the basement. On the way, Alex took a glance out the back sliding door, where he saw a zombie climb over the fence at the edge of the property! He then quickly ran downstairs, where he saw Freddy already planting. The Sunflowers and Peashooters were already set up and he started planting Wall-Nuts, just to be safe.

It seemed like a normal round at first, but a lot of Bucket Head and Football Zombies were approaching the yard at once!

“What do you say we flatten these guys?” Freddy asked with a smile. He then planted a Squash in front of where a Football, Bucket Head, and Cone Head were all standing. Instantly, the Squash clone saw the zombies, leaped into the air, and then landed right on top of them very hard, crushing them flat! A second later, the Squash, as well as the flat zombie corpses, disappeared.

“That was amazing!” Josie exclaimed.

“Why thanks!” Squash replied proudly.

“Nuts!” Freddy suddenly exclaimed. “I don’t have enough sunawatts for a Peashooter, and a zombie’s approaching the house!” The others quickly looked at the TV with fear and realized he was right; he had only 75 sunawatts and a zombie was almost to the porch!

“Plant a Wall-Nut until you can save enough sunawatts!!” Dave told him. He then did as he was told and planted a Wall-Nut in the last square of the row. After saving sunawatts, he earned 150 total, and then POWIE! He blew the zombie up with a Cherry Bomb.

“Thank God that was the last one,” Josie exhaled. “That could’ve been bad!”

“No kidding!” Alex responded, and then turned to Dave. “That actually brings up something that’s been on my mind for a while,” he told him. “It gets kinda rough and time-consuming placing Peashooters individually. Is there a way to maybe plant multiples at once?” Dave paused for a few seconds.