Chapter 26: Death of Emotions

Niyaya ko si River na ihatid akong muli sa apartment. Hindi ko na siya kailangang pilitin pa dahil mukhang may idea siya sa aking naramdaman noong mga oras na yon.

"'You okay?" He asked when we're back again in front of the apartment gate.

"Yeah."

My voice cracked. I'm not, but I'm trying to be. It should be enough, right?

"Will you be okay staying here?" He asked. Pinagmasdan niya ang apartment. Compared to the luxurious properties of the Monaghan's, this apartment is bare, average. But this has been my home for the past few years. My home with my best friend, Elyse.

"Yeah."

"I'm getting worried with your lack of emotions, human girl," he muttered.

Humarap ako kay River. I managed a smile. "Elyse is back. That's all that matters."

"And your heart doesn't?"

"Who says I have a heart?" Good one, Denise. I thought. At least I could still crack a joke.

Bumuntong hininga si River.

"Your friend doesn't have an idea about you being hospitalized. Ang tanging alam niya ay nasa internship ka sa ibang bayan mula noong magising siya."

"Thank you," nasabi ko. Because I don't want her to know. I don't have the strenght for her to know that I was one of Landon's blood source before her.

Elyse, she always had an eye for Landon. Even before the two of us met and became friends. She had him first.

"See you around, then?" River said as he put his jacket on.

I nodded.

"Call a lifeline when you need help." He winked to lighten the mood before strutting toward the driver's seat.

Bago umalis napansin kong may ni-dial siya sa kanyang phone bago pinaharurot ang sasakyan. Pinagmasdan ko ang pag alis nito hanggang sa tuluyan itong mawala sa aking paningin.

I was buying time, hoping the added seconds could give me strenght to step once again in the apartment, and to see traces of Elyse. I was sad and confused for feeling this way. I thought I'd be the happiest person if I see her again, but it broke my heart instead. Stupid, Denise.

I went inside the apartment where Elyse's perfume lingered. As if out of the long eclipse, the interior of the house became light and pleasant again. Lights seem to peak inside more whenever Elyse is here. She was the sun, I was the moon, attracting every dark things... and secretly envying the sun ever since.

I run to my room. This is what I had wanted. This is what I wished for. It was all part of the deal. After the contract it will be Elyse. To save her life just like what I made Landon promised, Elyse needed to be his blood source.

So why does it hurt?

It was late afternoon when Elyse arrived at the apartment. Nanlaki ang kanyang mga mata nang makita ako. Binitawan niya ang mga dalang gamit sa sahig saka mabilis na tumakbo sa kusina upang yakapin ako.

"Oh my god. Denise!"

Mahigpit niya akong niyakap. Tumalon talon siya at napatili. Masayang masaya siya. She looked so happy that I never want to ruin everything for her.

"Hey, long time no see, Elly."

Tinitigan niya ako saka yumakap ulit. Para siyang bata. She's always been like this, always bubbly, always genuine.