Chapter Nineteen

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

●▬▬▬▬▬๑۩۩๑▬▬▬▬▬●

"Alright, look, she's coming this way," Elspeth whispered to James as she and Penelope were sitting in one of the window seats. James had taken it upon himself to place his body in between the two girls, separating them so he could talk to his "mentor." She seemed less than impressed and Penelope seemed irritated until the challenge came that they had to deal with. Lily was making her way down the corridor, a little distance away and James was looking for help on how to approach her.

"Look, all you have to do is just say "Hi, Lily," and then start talking to Penelope and me. That's it. Don't offer any more unless she starts off a conversation with you. Got it?"

"And if she does?" James asked.

"Then you be nice to her! It's not that hard, Potter! Pull your head out of your arse and just think. I know if it's not about yourself it's hard to focus but I think you can manage this. Now, here she comes!"

Lily looked confused as she saw James sitting in the company of the two girls. She had definitely taken noticed that Elspeth and James appeared to be closer or at least, spending more time together since their argument. Sirius didn't seem bothered by it, which left her even more puzzled by it. But she was still upset with what Elspeth had said to her and how she had said to her when it came to her situation with Severus. Although as of late, she was beginning to question just how right Elspeth was and how wrong Severus was. 

But as she grew closer, Elspeth and Penelope busied themselves with a conversation while James watched her until she was coming close to passing him.

"Hi, Lily!"

The girl came to a complete halt, realising that he had called him  Lily instead of the usual Evans. He didn't look sick or delusional, but rather cheery as he smiled up at her. She didn't know what to say or how to react, but she assumed it had to be some sort of trick on his behalf. He wasn't just greeting her out of kindness. So rather than saying anything in return, she gave him a side glance and continued on her way. As she rounded the corner, she didn't catch a glimpse of the disheartened look of rejection as James sat back in the seat.

Penelope and Elspeth placed their hands on the boy's shoulder to comfort him.

"What a bitch," Penelope muttered under her breath.

"It's not her fault entirely," Elspeth told her friend, " unfortunately, our Romero here hasn't been doing this long enough. She's suspicious because she doesn't trust that this isn't some sort of prank. We have to give this time. But this was a good start, James. Good for you, pumpkin!"

Penelope excused herself before James could drown himself in self-pity leaving to the girl's lavatory.

"If it was a good start, why do I feel terrible?" James asked Elspeth.

"Probably because the love of your life just walked away from you with not so much as a second glance in your direction after you said hello," Elspeth shrugged until James glanced over at her with an annoyed look. "Oh, was that a rhetorical question?"