22: merveilles

ACT 2 — SCENE 13
SHE WONDERS.

TAEHYUNG IS in her apartment again. He had come over for the sole purpose of entertaining himself since his own place felt a little too boring and quiet, he claimed, and so Seojung had no choice but to welcome him into her home. The boy stays in her living room with his sketchbook laid on top of his lap, eyes focused downwards as his hands trace lines on the paper. With his posture hunched and hair falling over his eyes, he looks too engrossed in his art that she doesn't want to disturb him.

She's not used to seeing him so focused on something that she can't help but stare whenever she can. Though she can't see his eyes clearly, she knows that the intensity in them is strong. It's kind of endearing looking at someone like Taehyung who has trouble putting his heart set on just one thing (or person) be so passionate about something.

He shields his sketchbook away from her prying eyes whenever she tries to sneak a peak, telling her that he's not done yet and she can look when it's completed. So Seojung leaves him be and picks up a novel instead, sitting down next to him on the couch.When he asks what she's reading, she says with a smile that she's not done yet and that he can look at the book once she's finished it. Taehyung only snorts and goes back to his sketch.

Seojung finds herself too distracted to focus on the words in front of her, by what exactly she doesn't know, but her guts tell her that it must have something to do with the boy sitting right beside her. Her gaze can't even stay on the paper, always looking for opportunities to sneak a glance from the corner of her eye. What is it about him that makes her can't stop looking? Her attempts are cut short because the room becomes pitch black in the span of a millisecond.

"Shit," Seojung swears. The power must've gone out. It would be no problem if there was light pouring into the room from the window, but it's been long since the sun had set, so she and Taehyung are currently enveloped in darkness.

"This place has a backup generator, don't worry. It should be up and running soon," Taehyung informs calmly.

"But I'm scared of the dark." Seojung wouldn't be so willing to sound like a scaredy-cat in front of her past crush, but she's slowly panicking inside and this state is getting the best of her. She's trying hard to keep herself from reaching out for Taehyung's hand and not because she just wants to hold it.

The boy next to her only laughs, which doesn't help the situation at all. "Relax. I'm here."

"Maybe I should get a flashlight." The girl stands up and takes a few steps forward only to realize that she can still see nothing and she's not brave enough to walk around in the dark. She doesn't trust herself to not trip on something and fall in front of Taehyung, even though he probably won't be able to see it.

"Be careful. I'll come with you."

"Shit. I can't see—"

Seojung chooses the wrong time to turn around because what happens is her colliding with what she assumes is Taehyung's chest, and the lack of light only makes her have a loose grip on her balance, causing her to fall backward and land on the carpeted floor with a small curse. Somehow, Taehyung ends up going down with her too.

Out of all the scenarios she had imagined herself to be in with Taehyung, this is not one of them. The weight of his body is crushing her against the floor, but the girl can't do anything else but worry about him feeling the rapid beats of her heart. The darkness only allows her to see shadows of his face but she knows he's close because the feeling his hot breath fanning her skin is the only thing she can focus on. How she has her hands on both of his arms and how their faces are probably only inches apart makes this whole situation conveniently inconvenient.

This is the closest she has ever been with Taehyung—physically—and for once she finds herself thanking the darkness for it shields the obvious blush on her cheeks from his eyes. But she also wishes that the lights are on too, because when else will she be able to look at him up close like this?

Seconds pass without either of them making a move to get up, so Seojung asks the dumbest question that has ever left her mouth.

"Taehyung. A-are you on top of me?"

"Of course I am. Who else would it be?" She knows that he's smiling even if she can't see him. His voice is so low, so smooth, and hearing him talk makes her insides churn. "Maybe we should stay like this for a while. It's a lot safer."

The power decides to turn back on right after Taehyung finishes the sentence. The first thing she sees when light now illuminates the room again is Taehyung's warm eyes staring down, and it takes him several seconds to snap out of his trance and gets off her. Seojung sits on the floor as the boy rushes to the couch and grabs his sketchbook and pencil.

"Sorry about that," he says without looking at her. He heads for the door and is already halfway out of the apartment before she can even stand up.

"Wait, where are you—"

"I forgot that I had things to do. See you around, yeah?"

The door slams shut before Seojung can bid him goodbye. Taehyung's sudden urge to get away from leaves her puzzled and worried that she had done something wrong to make him act this way. Picturing Taehyung's face being so close to hers at it was just moments ago, Seojung clutches her heart and wills for it to stop giving her a hard time.

yes bitch mara just totally pulled a "love-interest falls on top of the girl" kdrama cliche dont you just love me
👅👅👅

this chapter is so short + a filler bcs 2 more chapters to go before act 3 huntys lets GO expect the next update real soon (;