P h o t o #14 - Hypocritical Thinking

I fumed as we stood at the exit of the roller coaster, my cheeks ablaze from embarrassment. With what was happening at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if you could see smoke coming out of my ears. Everyone around me was laughing like there was no tomorrow, even Elliot let a few chuckles escape. I could barely tell though, because he quickly covered it up with his usual icy expression.

My eyes scanned the monitors that were above the counters at the exit of the roller coaster. Damn, even the guy working at the counter was surpassing fits of giggles.

'Was it really that funny?' I asked myself angrily, before betraying my thoughts and thinking. 'Yes, yes it was Emma.'

I solemnly stared up at the bright screen, which displayed the pictures that were taken during the ride by hidden cameras. 'How could I have forgotten those retched cameras?'

Shown on the screen was a picture of me in the front seat, screaming like I was being slaughtered. My mouth was wide open, showing my straight rows of teeth (I've always had straight teeth, it's about the only redeeming quality I had) and my plump pink tongue. My eyes were glued shut and my knuckles were a stark white, caused by the tight grip on the shiny roller coaster handle.

"I didn't know you were so afraid of roller coasters Emma!" Kayla could barely get out during her guffaw.

'I'm not,' I thought, 'But I guess it's better they think that then to know the real reason behind my freak out.'

I sighed, trying to flush the burning from my cheeks. "Y-Yeah, yeah, it's funny. Now let's go." I folded my arms and shifted my weight as everyone looked my way.

"First," Kayla sang, pulling out a wad of cash from the right pocket of her shorts. "Let me buy a one!"

Everyone agreed with small chortles as they made it up to the counter. I felt sweat creep up onto my forehead as I ran over towards them. I immediately grabbed a handful of Cooper's light blue t-shirt, with him being the closest person I could get to I obviously didn't have a choice in the matter.

"E-Emmy?" Cooper stuttered down at me, probably startled at the sudden change in my mood. I took a deep breath, ready to plead for the whole group, who's attention I now had again, not to buy the embarrassing picture. I looked up, meeting with Cooper's tan eyes, only to turn away. It was a small wish, and one that held no real significance, but I couldn't help how easily I faltered when laughed at, even if they had no I'll intentions whatsoever.

I shifted my gaze from my feet to everyone's faces once more, forgetting about Cooper's shirt clasped in my palms. My breath escaped my lungs as I saw his pink tinged face. I quickly undid my grip on his expensive shirt, ready to apologize for scaring him like that and for slightly wrinkling the fabric, until I felt myself be pulled back by a pair of strong yet pale arms.

"Come on, Emma," It was Jonas, "Let us have a little fun!" He said to the back of my head, releasing me and letting me get a good look at his face after swiveling around, which was plastered with a sideways smile. He was smirking at me!

I jumped out of his way as he went to the counter to buy some pictures. I scanned the area as everyone bought the shaming pictures displayed above our heads. I spotted a bunch of people of all different kinds of caliber enjoying the sun that was so graciously given to us by mother nature that day after the many days of the damp coldness we've been getting. There were friends goofing around, little kids calling for each other, couples holding hands, and even families with wide smiles.

I sighed, 'Families, huh?'

I leaned against the chipped-painted railing of one of the many lamp posts scattered around the park as I waited for everyone to hurry up, get their pictures, and drag me to the next ride with them. It was funny how used to being surrounded by the five of them I was.