28 :: This Ends in a Hospital

CHAPTER 28: This Ends in a Hospital

There was applause. I'm not entirely sure if they were out of pity and general kindness of the audience, but there was. I had a smile on my face when I walked down the stage.  Sage stood. There was a spark in her eyes but her mouth formed a thin line. Her face reeked contradiction. Her eyes were smiling but she wasn't. I couldn't quite describe it but she looked like she was about to hug me and punch me at the same time.

I was so captured by Sage that everyone else around us blurred.  All blurred: the audience, Louie, London, Kaye, the fist that was soaring towards my nose... Wait, what?!

My reflexes suck, I admit. It's been proven by that soccer-ball-to-the-face incident. This fist hurt more, though. Soccer balls are kinda soft and just bounce right off. This fist slams every knuckle to the nose. It's bone clashing to bone with flesh to coat them off.

My poor nose had taken all it can get these past few weeks. This time, it bled.

I crumbled to the ground like a frickin' snowman.  On my way down there, I was able to catch a glimpse of a murderous-looking Italian.

Diego clamored to get to me again but Louie and the others had already pulled him back. The audience members were alarmed. It didn't take long for the theater staff to throw us out the parking lot.

Louie had my arm draped over his shoulder while Sage and Kaye were pushing Diego out, way in front of us. It was cold when we got out to the parking lot. 

"Him?!" Diego jabbed a finger at my direction, looking like he was about to jump Sage, too, but Kaye stood between them, keeping them a meter apart. "That's the best you can do, Sage? He can't even afford a proper car nor is he sharp enough to dodge a football! One little fight and you end up with this asshole?"

Sage scoffed. "Okay, one, it wasn't 'one little fight'! You broke up with me, you jerk. And, two, at least I didn't jump at the chance to hightail out of the country the following week."

"No," he mocked. "You decided to jump on another guy's dick."

I could've sworn I was being held back meters away from them but I found myself right up Diego's face. I didn't really know what to do. I got about an inch away from him when Diego shoved me back. I charged forward again, only to be stopped by Sage. So there we were, Diego being held off by Kaye and me by Sage.

"Stop!" Sage yelled.

"That mouth of yours's gonna get your teeth knocked off," I threatened Diego still pushing. Man, I must have been really weak to have had to struggle against a 5-footer's hold.

"Oh, what are you going to do?" he said. "Tackle me again while I'm beating someone else up?"

My jaw ticked. That smile Diego had on his face made me angrier. It was just last week that I thought this dude was cool.

"It's not worth it, Trevor," Sage whispered in the softest tone I've ever heard her use. But my eyes were still locked on the Italian asshole. My fists were still itching to collide with his face. Then, Sage reached up to a warm hand behind my neck. With a slight tug, she made me look down at her. "Hey," she said, our eyes meeting. "He's not worth it. Let's just go." Her hand traveled from the ends of my hair down to my fist, which automatically uncurled at her touch.

"Yeah?" she asked, wide-eyed and tentative.

I glared once more at Diego who'd surprisingly went quiet. He was wearing jealousy on his face if I ever knew the look of it. That made me feel good. Yeah, it felt great. I nodded down at Sage and she didn't wait another second. She just pushed me towards the opposite direction. London and Louie were there when I turned.