Chapter 26

"What?"

"What?"

"Why has Daniel beaten up Harrison?" she repeats accusingly.

I sit up swiftly and attempt to grasp the words coming through the phone. "He what?"

"You're telling me you haven't heard?"

I run my hand through my hair. "No. I haven't heard, Jana. I've been at home for an hour or so. When did it happen? Where did it happen?"

"Well, I'm assuming it happened after you left, and I heard it happened in the locker room. What was the last thing you and Daniel talked about? Did—did you tell him that Harrison—"

"No, of course I didn't," I say. "Who told you?"

"Jordan did a few minutes ago. He said that Daniel has been suspended and that Harrison isn't looking too good. What did you say to Daniel?"

I struggle to remember exactly. "Um, the last thing I told him was that I'm going home to cry, so give me my keys or something like that."

"What the hell do you two talk about?" She questions. "Whatever. Was that a reason to beat Harrison up?"

"I-I don't know," I mumble. "Maybe? How long is he suspended for?"

"I don't know. Jordan didn't tell me."

"Now what? We wait for Daniel to be unsuspended? What about Harrison?"

Jana groans. "Let's just hope he doesn't think Daniel is your protector or something. Daniel cannot be brought into this mess, well, unless you don't mind him finding out."

"I do mind," I tell her, "I don't want him to be a part of this, you're right. When he gets back at school, I'll tell him to back off or something."

"Okay. Until then, let's just focus on the fact that Daniel Todd beat up Harrison for you!" She squeals. "That is so dreamy. I feel like we're in a movie!"

"I told you that I want to get over my crush, not fantasize about how he's my hero."

"Fine. But at least we know he doesn't have some stupid girlfriend or whatever. That means he is genuinely trying to protect you because he cares about you and I'm so excited and I need to find my own boyfriend," her voice dies off towards the end. "I am so lonely in that department."

"Uh, okay. Let's just talk about it tomorrow. First things first, we find out when Daniel will be back."

The next day, I pick Jana up for school, but we have to wait until Lunch to ask Jordan for more information. I cannot stop thinking about the cafeteria as it is the only place where I am sure to see Harrison. In every class, my mind wanders to him, what he may look like. How dark are the bruises? Any cuts? A busted lip?

How hard did Daniel hit him? It captivates me for some reason. I hope it hurt him. I hope Harrison's smug little face is swollen with regret.

When I walk into the cafeteria, I head straight to our table, given a perfect view of Harrison's. I sit a wait, biting my lip, waiting to see the masterpiece Daniel has created.

Then it happens, Harrison walks in with Daphne and two other guys on the football team. My hand squeezes into a fist and my toes scrunch up. He has a black eye, swollen cheek, giant lip, and he tries to hide it from everyone with a baseball cap, shading it away. But I see. I see everything.

"Wow," Jana mumbles as she sits down beside me, swinging her bag onto the table. "He looks terrible. Daniel really did a number on him."

"Yeah," I breathe out.

Taylor and Jordan join us as well, also constantly glancing back at Harrison.

"So," Jana grabs our attention, "when will Daniel be back?"

"Next week," Jordan says.

My heart drops. Next week? It's only Tuesday. I hate to admit it, but I want to see him, talk to him, thank him while scolding him. Most importantly, I have to tell him to back off of Harrison. It is none of his business, and I don't need Harrison fighting back. Worst comes to worst he attacks Daniel for payback on Monday.

The rest of the day goes by slowly, and I overhear some conversations about the fight. No one seems to know what it was about, which is what I hoped. For once, I am not the one people are whispering about, and it feels great. Daniel will sure get a taste of the staring when he gets back, but I am sure girls stare at him anyway.

On my way to my last class—almost late due to a conversation with my teacher—the bell rings as I hurry down the nearly empty hallway. My feet come to a halt as I turn the corner and spot Harrison and Daphne. I pull myself back around before they notice my presence. Close enough to hear their conversation, I stay quiet and listen carefully.

"This can't be happening. The second my Dad sees my face, he's going to be all questions," Harrison shouts in a hushed tone. "Do you know how hard it was to hide this from them?"

"Just tell them it happened at practice," Daphne says.

Harrison sighs. "Keep your boyfriend under control next time, got it?"

Daphne doesn't reply, and I hear their footsteps fade until the doors at the end of the hall open and close. I take a deep breath. Boyfriend? He didn't mean Daniel, did he?

Who am I kidding, of course he's talking about Daniel! What the hell. Daphne and Daniel are together?

I have missed too many days in my last hour to run away now, or else I would be booking it in my car again. How could he be with Daphne? It has to be a lie. I have never even seen him talk to her in person. Falling back against the wall, I groan. He's never looked interested in her. The one time I saw her touch his arm, he backed away. He wouldn't back away if he had feelings for her.

Why would Harrison say that? Maybe it was a joke.

I take another deep breath before continuing to my last hour, not only worrying about Daniel and Daphne but conjuring up an excuse to why I am late.

I could always ask him Monday, but it might seem like I am interested in him. Who cares. Daniel has shown much interest in me, and yet, he still doesn't like me, so I am simply acting the same way. Showing interest with no ulterior motive.

Hesitantly, I push the classroom door open, grabbing everyone's attention. "Sorry, I was talking with my Earth Science teacher."

"