[42]

MY SIDE PULSATED WITH A DULL PAIN AS I DRAGGED MYSELF INTO POSITION, but I ignored it and continued on; that pain didn't matter anymore, for it would be done with soon. The pill she had handed me had been working wonders, however, and it was easy to bear the stings with it in my system. It was fading even as I sat and I knew it would soon be non-existent.

I was still in complete shock over the entire event; Inga turning sides to help me wasn't what I expected, never in a million years. My life had flashed before my eyes when I had tumbled and sparred with her, and I thought it would end sooner than I had hoped, but yet she had given me the greatest gift of all. I finally had the chance to do the right thing, and while it was just an hour, it was more than enough time. 

"Please, Peter," I mumbled, hissing as my leg made contact with cold metal, "please be alive. It would be pretty great to know my efforts weren't for nothing."

This was exactly where I had been told to hide - by Inga, no less - not three days before, when we were running through the exact procedure of the night's events. I was to hide here, crouched and out of the way until Peter was in position and I'd drop down, force him down and then proceed to knock him out before dragging him away to a new hell.

The weapon was waiting there for me, too; while it wasn't meant to be held for many minutes, I still gripped it tightly and ran trembling fingers across the silvery barrel, chills running down my spine as I remembered the deadly task it was waiting to perform. At least, what it would have been waiting for. 

I could not wait anymore. There simply wasn't time. I slid down the small opening I had been provided and hid in the shadows, searching for a glimpse of the fight below. However, I didn't go in or attempt to see more. My eyes simply scanned until it met with the sounds that told me where the boy was, only to have them widen and a gasp to escape my throat.

Peter - or, Spiderman - was going head to head with the lightning man. He spun and twirled around him while shocks lit up the large, cleared out area, barely hitting the small figure - just enough to throw him off each time. Electro was doing exactly what he was supposed to be doing; he taunted and didn't try to hurt him much, working to lure him further and further away from safety so I could lunge and shoot him down. The plan was for him to be hit with one dart, and then for me to fall and get the boy then, that way it seemed as believable as could be.

With a small cry that I hadn't even realised I built up, I watched in horror as the boy almost collapsed as a badly-aimed bolt hit his body. He was okay, but it only seemed to tell me just how real and terrifying this was, and how horrific it would be if I messed this up.

"You can do this," I mumbled, tracing the carved designs of the gun. "You...you need to do this. It's not about you, Freya, it's about him; he deserves to have a life, and you need to make sure of that. You have to do this. для пэтера."

I raised the small pistol up and pointed it downwards towards the dancing duo, though it wasn't pointed towards the boy like instructed; my hand shook and darted with the frantically moving lightning hybrid, focusing on aiming it at the large span of his rippling back. The dose would be large enough to knock him out, I was sure of it, and it wouldn't take more than one to make him fall. After that, I'd have to move quickly, but it wasn't a task I couldn't do.

"Come on, Freya." He had slowed his movements, strangely, and seemed to be almost asking for me to shoot; I was in perfect place and the shot would be easy. "Come on, Freya."

для пэтера.

The small dart flew, whizzing through the air and, as I began my tumble down to head to the fight, I watched it head straight to the small of the man's back. It hit perfectly, making him roar and groan from new and unexpected pain meant for his opponent. Within seconds, he'd fall, and it would all be done with, where I could swoop in and drag the boy in, get him to safety, and get him away from this whole disaster before the time ran out. I watched him twitch and seemingly realise the situation, and then collapse.