24

Jay smiles as she sees Anne at their café. Anne waves her over to the familiar table in the back. She takes the seat across from Anne as she passes Jay her drink.

"Hey, how are you?" Anne asks. She pulls her sunglasses up on top of her hair and sighs loudly.

"I'm fine. I have hardly had any downtime in the last few days, but it's okay. I don't mind being a super Mum," Jay explains. Anne gives a small nod and sips on her drink.

Louis is spending the next few days at their house until he flies back to Los Angeles. He's leaving in four days, but nobody is ready to say goodbye. Jay loves seeing her son so happy and doing what he loves. However, never having him home makes her heart hurt. She's glad she has six other kids to love and fill the hole.

"I invited one of my other friends, Karen, along. I think I told you a little bit about her, right," Jay asks. Anne nods.

It's been a while since Jay and Karen caught up. They used to go out together about every month or so, but life got in the way. Jay likes to say that she and Karen are the closest of the One Direction Mums (which is a bold statement considering the amount of time that the other two, Maura and Trisha, spend together).

"I think I remember you talking about her, yeah. Her son is in the band with Louis, right?" Jay nods back at her. A Moment later the door to the café chimes. She turns and sees Karen as she makes her way into the restaurant. Jay stands and brings the other woman into a hug before inviting her to sit down.

"Oh, you're the lovely woman Jay can't keep quiet about! You look great! I'm a hugger, sorry," Karen laughs and brings Anne in for a quick hug. Jay watches Anne's eyes widen and tries not to laugh. Jay thinks she ought to have warned Anne about Karen's touchy personality, but it's too late now.

Jay has always been a hugger herself, but it's nothing compared to Karen. In the beginning, the touching got to a point where Jay had to fake a cold for Karen to stay away from her. She's gotten better at it over the years, Jay will admit.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Anne. You must be Karen," Anne introduces. Karen sits next to Jay and smiles at Anne from across the table.

"Sure am! I can't believe I finally get to sit down and talk to you two, it's been ages since I've seen Jay. How're the kids doing," Karen asks.

"They've been good. We had a welcome-home party for Louis on the sixth. The girls are doing amazing and Dan's great. Louis has to fly back to California in a few days, so he's getting ready for that," Jay explains. Karen frowns and rubs Jay's shoulder.

"Yeah, I hear that they're all heading back soon. It never feels like long enough. Liam's heading back tomorrow I think it is. It's nice having him home for a few days, though. He likes not having any real responsibilities. So, Anne, tell me about you. Jay mentioned you have a son about Liam's age, is that right," Karen asks. Anne looks up from her drink and smiles.

"I have two, actually. My oldest is Gemma and my youngest is Harry. Harry's 20," Anne explains. Karen gives Anne a warm smile. Jay is pleased with how well everything's going so far. She didn't know how well Anne and Karen would get along, but they seem to be doing fine so far.

"Do Harry and Louis get on along well," Karen questions. Jay turns to Anne. Anne raises her eyebrows and Jay gives her a knowing look.

"Some people would say that they're really good friends, yeah. They've uh... gotten to know each other quite a bit," Jay offers. Anne visibly relaxes once Jay answers the question.

Jay hasn't asked Anne about it, but she has a feeling that the other woman has a hard time with lying and keeping secrets. She lets things slip up once she starts talking and Jay knows that they can't let their sons' secret slip, since it's not theirs to tell. She figures that Anne shouldn't be doing a lot of the talking, especially with a wild card like Karen brought into the picture.

"That's lovely then! I'm glad they get along so well. Louis deserves to have another good friend in his life!" Karen turns to Anne, "How's Harry handling it?"

It isn't hard to find the similarities between Karen and her son, Liam. The pair are both too nosy for their own good. Jay doesn't mind it as much anymore, but when they first started hanging out it was the death of her. Now, she's grown used to Karen's biggest personality flaw.

Anne seems to snap back into the conversation and looks confused for a Moment. "Handling what," She asks.

"Well, Louis' going back to California, right? If one of my good friends was leaving, I'd be a little down. How's Harry handling everything? They haven't known each other that long, have they?" Jay motions for Anne to say something but prays that she doesn't let too much slip.

"Harry's a little down about it, but uh... like you said they haven't known each other long. Since Louis' been on tour a lot of the time they've mostly been texting anyway," Anne explains. Karen gives her an understanding nod. After a Moment, she gasps and gives Anne a quizzical look. Jay's heart drops. She thought they were in the clear.

"Wait! Liam was telling me that he helped Lottie, Eleanor, and a boy go out and surprise Louis after one of their concerts. That wouldn't have been your boy, would it?" Anne moves in her seat awkwardly and takes a rather long sip of her drink. Jay coughs and speaks up.

"Yeah well, Lottie and Harry are really close, and some would argue that Lottie and Harry are even closer than Louis and Harry. You know how Lottie is, always social and always wanting to make friends. She just loves showing people new places, so she just couldn't give up the opportunity to show her new friend around London," Jay lies. She laughs a little too loudly and sips on her drink afterwards. Karen looks between Anne and Jay. Anne throws her a smile.

"Right," Karen mutters. The three ladies sit in an awkward silence. After a Moment, Anne speaks up.

"Well, it's been nice chatting with you, but I've got to start back home. It was nice meeting you, Karen," Anne explains. She gives the woman a small side hug before dumping her empty cup into the bin. "I'll talk to you later, Jay," Anne explains before leaving the small café.

"I should be heading out too. I had a lovely time seeing you," Karen says. She gives Jay a hug and quick kiss to the cheek before heading out as well.

~_~_~

Hey guys! Can't edit this, so if you find mistakes tell me! I looked at the world map of readers and y'all are from everywhere! Comment where you are on the map! 

  Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed! ~B