(17) 62.3

"Good thing there's no interviews today or else we'd be screwed," Ashton says to me. Screwed? I think you mean saved.

We're in the doctors office, inside the nearest hospital, waiting to be called in for my appointment. Management had no problem approving me to see a doctor, with how "sickly" I've been looking lately. Their words, not mine.

Someone from management joins us, and they find it odd that Ashton came along with us, although they don't say anything regarding it.

"Mr. Hemmings," a nurse calls from one of the several doors connected to the waiting room.

They both look at me as I walk away, closer to the nurse.

"Hello, I'm Nurse Diaz, how are you today?"

I lie, telling him I'm great and ask how his day is treating him.

"Well it's a slow day today so my day is going by with ease," he laughs.

Once I'm seated he does the usual things a nurse does. He looks into my ears and throat, records my heart beat and pulse, takes my blood pressure, and then, oh.

Then he take my weight.

He seems confused when he takes my weight but says nothing other than what I weigh, 137 pounds, while marking it on a chart.

137 pounds?! That's double what I am in kilograms! Hearing such a large number is making more anxious by the second.

Nurse Diaz tells me to sit tight while he finds the doctor. When he disappears from the room, I take a peak at the chart, searching for anything that could surprise the doctor.

Under the notes section, written is: UNDERWEIGHT (BMI 16.8), LOW HEART RATE.

"Hello there," the doctor greets from the door and shit that startled me. I take a step back from the chart to look at the new presence in the room.

"I'm Doctor Moore. I'll be your doctor today." I nod my head and take a seat again, glancing at the chart I was formerly looking at.

"Curious?" She laughs a little.

"Just a bit," I tell her quietly.

"So," she takes a seat across from me and glances at the chart, "what brings you in here today?"

"Um..." what do I say?

"Your vitals are low, but it says you do not suffer from any pre-existing conditions. Is that correct?"

"Uh, yeah," I say. Wow, this is not easy. Should I even talk about this? It would be really nice to not live this way but at the same time, this is my life. This will always be the way my life is. That's never going to change.

"Okay," she says, while jotting something down on the chart that I can no longer see. "Is there anything you would like to tell me?"

I'm silent, not knowing what to say.

She fills in the silence for me. "From what I can see here, you're moderately underweight. Have you always been underweight or is this something new for you?"

I sigh, "it's generally new, within the last year."

She writes something else down while asking, "could that be the reason you're here today?"