Chapter 16

Grace stood alone in the basement of the Salvatore mansion. Memories of her when she freed Elijah from down here awoke. She had asked Stefan to leave her alone while she fed off the blood bags, because she couldn't use his help now. Grace didn't trust Stefan enough to be her advisor. Of course, he was nice and all, but after all, she trusted Elijah more in this. At least he had a thousand years of experience in this.

The newly turned vampire looked down into the freezer. It was filled to the edges with blood bags and the smell filled her senses. Still something made it dull...the missing heartbeat, the warmth radiating off the person. But Grace had to do it now. She already felt the strength that Elijah's blood gave her flow out of her system. So vampire blood was just a temporary option...even though it was quite hot.

Slowly, she grabbed one of the bags and ripped it open. The smell grew even more intense and her gums started to ache again. Her fangs pushed through and she held the bag to her lips and sucked it dry, trying hard to not spill anything. It wasn't half as good as fresh blood straight from the vein, it didn't warm her like that, but still it gave her new strength and she immediately felt better.

She tossed the bag aside and grabbed the bottle of booze that thankfully stood beside the freezer. There seemed to be someone else in this house that struggled with the blood, or why else would someone need a really old bourbon to drown their sorrows? Grace took a deep gulp, before she had to put it away because she heard rumbling coming down the stairs and Stefan's angry voice. What quarrel had the brothers now?

When she stepped outside the cellar room, Grace saw Stefan leaving in a blur. With a frown, she stepped in front of the cell that was build into the basement. The place that started the abrupt change in her life. She peaked through the little window and saw Damon sitting on the floor, his skin seemed to heal from a bad burn.

"What have you done?"

She asked with a raised brow and licked the last stains of blood from her lips. Damon just rolled his eyes and leaned back.

"What do you care, Gracie?"

Grace gave him a serious look.

"...I've been bitten by a werewolf. Which is lethal to a vampire."

Her eyes widened. She couldn't stand Damon, but of course she didn't want him dead. He had done so many atrocities she couldn't even imagine, but he was on his way to become a better man, it was obvious.

"Oh."

It was the only thing she could say. Of course she didn't know if there was a cure, but judging by his expression and Stefan's hurry, it didn't look very good for him.

"Right, oh. At least you're the first one that doesn't try to convince me that there's still hope."

Grace sighed and shook her head. She quickly grabbed the bottle of bourbon from the other room and handed it to him.

"You don't deserve this, Damon. Let them try."

He gave her a surprised look. Surprised because he never would've thought that she would be kind to him. They hadn't had a good start, but Damon noted, if he got out of this alive, he would treat her better.

"She's right, Damon. You don't deserve this. We'll find you a cure."

Stefan suddenly stood beside Grace with a determined look on his face. Grace admired this. Even though Damon had done so much to him, he still believed in his brother. She turned around to face the younger Salvatore.

"You need help? I've got nothing better to do."

He nodded thankfully and gave her a light smile. Together they walked up the stairs, ready to start their mission into the unknown.