Chapter 23

I feel soft hands touch my arm. I turn my head and look at Annie who has tears rolling down her cheeks, "I should have stopped him this time- I-I am so sorry Navi, I'm so sorry, it's never gotten this bad before, I don't understand why he was so angry. I-" she stops talking as she sighs "Let me help you clean up." I don't say a word, as she helps me to my feet, I hiss in pain.

Annie helps me up the stairs to my room, helping me lay on my stomach she mutters something under her breath before she quickly darts out of the room.

A few minutes go by and I suddenly feel something wet and cold on my back, I hiss and I hear Annie mumble a quick sorry. She dabs my wounded back, then I feel her put cream on it, "Just to make sure it doesn't get infected."

"Annie," I say softly after a few moments of silence. Suddenly feeling drained and needing to get it off my chest.

"Yes?" She replies while rubbing the cream on my back.

"I-I uh, I found my mate."

Without stopping she replies "I know."

I look over my shoulder at her "What?"

She sends me a smile "Navi, you are the only girl I know with white blonde hair and crystal blue eyes," she pauses.

"And I saw the mask the night before the dance."

"Why didn't you tell on me?" I whisper tears in my eyes at the kindness of my sister.

With out missing a beat Annie says "Because you are my sister Navi. I don't like how they treat you, I would rather you queen than Iris ." I smile.

"I don't know what to do Annie." I sigh as I rest my head as she continues to put cream on my bleeding back.

Annie doesn't answer for a few minutes.

"I don't believe that."

I don't say anything and I soon feel Annie get off my bed. "Goodnight Navi."

I quietly call back "Goodnight."

I close my eyes and let the steady throb of my back lure me to sleep.

*

I wake up to my alarm going off while feeling like I got ran over by a truck.

I walk to my dresser and take a matching set of bra and panties. I grab a baggy black t-shirt and some blue faded jeans. I walk to the bathroom and run the shower. I slowly strip wincing as I lift my shirt over my head I freeze as I catch a glimpse of my face in the mirror.

My left cheek has a scratch on it running from my hair line and stopping before the corner of my mouth, stupid overly jeweled ring.

The right side of my lip is busted and swollen, I wince and turn as I look at all the broken skin on my back. I shake my head and climb in the shower and gasp as the water hits my back making tears fall from my eyes. I quickly bath and wash my hair and jump out. I slowly put my clothes on and brush my hair.

I hear a knock on my door. "Navi hurry mom is trying to make me leave you." I quickly brush my teeth and arrange my wet hair to cover as much of my face as possible I then put the brown contacts on, grab my bag and open my bedroom door to see Annie, "Come on." She rushes out as she grabs my wrist and pulls me along. We rush down stairs and quickly out the front door as Annie calls out a quick bye.

Annie starts the car and quickly backs out. I give her a confused look. She cast a glance at me and answers "Dad is in a bad mood, we don't need a repeat of last night." She pauses " Or well this morning?"