Ordinary

They seem connected now.

GrayLu Week 2017: Ordinary

* * *

Things were different.

Gray found himself spending his nights not on the streets of Magnolia, but instead laying beside a mess of blonde hair and sleepy blue eyes.

Every day, after the sun went down, Gray would find himself walking to her place. He would climb the ivy. He would swing himself up to her window, and he'd tap: once, twice, then three times. He'd wait. She would appear in front of him. He'd tap again. The window would swing open, and he'd slip inside.

Lucy was everything he could've asked for.

Gray would drop his shirt and kiss her, and even without the rain thundering around them, she still took his breath away. His body began longing for hers, the intoxication he felt with their bodies pressed together and her lips on his skin calling to him like a primal instinct.

This was normal.

She would give him something to read: a new chapter, a new novel concept, a character web. Gray would take it from her eagerly, drinking in every word she wrote like they were gospel and he needed saving. She would cook, and they would talk. They talked about everything and nothing, they talked about missions and the team and the guild and even each other.

Natsu and Erza would come by sometimes, though neither of them would notice when Gray would beat them there. They were oblivious; Lucy and Gray wanted it this way, at least for now. They were still working as a team, after all. They wouldn't compromise the structure of the team and the security of their family by letting them know just yet. Natsu and Erza would know when the time was right. Unsurprisingly, the one who seemed the least oblivious to it all was Happy.

They were taking on smaller, daytime missions for the time being, making just enough money to live comfortably while they became more comfortable with each other.

At night they would lay.

Lucy would always ask if he'd come to bed with her, as she'd usually spend late nights writing while Gray thumbed through the various manuscripts she'd developed. He would ask if she was sure, and she would laugh quietly and tell him she was always sure. So she'd take his hand, leading him to where he'd begun spending all his nights. Gray always noted how small and soft her touch was compared to his larger, rougher hands, his fingers and palms worn with creation magic.

She was graceful.

Gray would sit on the bed and watch her move, watch her hips sway ever so slightly as she walked over to where a small pile of his shirts had begun forming. She picked through them, finding one she felt suitable for bedtime. She'd slip into the bathroom and emerge soon after, clad only in his shirt and her underwear, walking delicately in her bare feet over to where he sat. Her body awakened something within him, illuminating a part of him he'd long thought lost. She was tentative at first, though she'd always kiss him goodnight, resting her hand on his cheek and tracing the outline of his jaw. His body always reacted.

He'd wrap Lucy in his arms. He'd pull her into bed and roll them to face the window, her feminine figure slotting against him as they watched the stars. Their legs would tangle together as Gray propped himself up on his elbow, looking down at her soft features while they talked. Gray found himself spilling everything to her at night, his secrets overflowing after being bottled up for so long. Nothing was off limits as his mouth formed the words he thought he'd never speak aloud, and Lucy watched him with big eyes and attentive gestures.

Lucy would fall asleep first, laying on her back beside him, tiny snores drifting from her small mouth. Gray would lay awake, but not because he couldn't sleep; he didn't want to sleep. To sleep would mean to close his eyes and not be able to watch her breathe against him, and god did he love to watch her breathe.