34

The game starts off with Oikawa serving. The green and red ball slices through the air at incredible speeds. But Daichi receives it at full force. I see a faint grin on his face as he does. The  ball goes back onto the other side when their #12, Kindaichi hits it down. Kageyama swings his arm right beneath the net and saves it. Since Kageyama got the first touch, Nishinoya hops right above the line and sets it to Asahi who scores the first point of the game.

Nishinoya and Asahi look at each other in astonishment. "The two that scored are shocked too!?" I sneak a glance of Seijou's captain. He makes his frustration off to be minor, but I can see right through the facade. He's pissed as hell.

While looking over the Seijou players, an unfamiliar face scowls. Two black lines in his blond hair and dark eyes. The feral look in his eyes along with the arched back makes him look like a wild dog. I know by his disposition that he will be a problem for us.

He doesn't have the shining face of a first year and looks like a veteran. I wouldn't doubt if he was suspended for some amount of time during Inter-high. An angry red aura surrounds him. Aggressive, really, really aggressive. 

Kageyama starts us out with a pinpoint jump serve. Hanamakki almost receives it but pulls back when he knows it's an out. A vein pinches in his forehead. Iwaizumi approaches the line bouncing the ball.

Asahi saves it but it lingers at the net. Kageyama and #13 both reach for it. Kageyama flicks the ball over to Tanaka, who scores a second point.

I feel my grip on my clipboard loosen. They've got this in the bag. They work together like clockwork. The lump in my throat dissolves as I start to work, formulating strategies that will get us out of a jam need be.

I scribble down some keywords that describe the offense and defense. I list out different attack patterns and cross out the ones that wouldn't work against Seijou. I look over at our court just in time to see Kageyama kick Hinata and tell him, "Keep your head... put straight dumb ass!"

Kageyama sets the freak quick to said ginger. Hinata smashes through the cracks in their defense. A bad receive sends it flying out of bounds. We're starting off well. I just hope we don't tire out by the end of the first set because I can tell this'll be a three set match.

I scribble down more things dealing with specific players. Oikawa for example, he is the mastermind behind it all. He's the main cog that makes the clock tick. However, unlike Kageyama, he's not a genius. To me, there is a stark difference between them.

Oikawa was not born a great setter. Endless amounts of practice made him one. He trained to gain the setter instincts that Kageyama had from the beginning. Everything he does is intentional. I narrow my gaze on him. I watch as his persona switches when he acknowledges his squealing fans and then his smug eyes when he reenters the game. It's pretty despicable.

A deafening boom jolts me out of thought. The feral blond stares ahead and mutters a quick "sorry" once he hits it out, and awards us the set. "THAT WAS TOO RECKLESS!" I shudder as their ace jams his fist into the blond's head. My eyes widen, why would you do that?! Do you want to actually die?!

"Sorry I was just anxious since it's my first time on the court in awhile," I raise an eyebrow at his reaction of not pounding Iwaizumi into the ground. Then it clicks, he regards Iwaizumi as someone to surpass, a senpai kind of.

"Chihiro-chan, you got anything?" Ukai-san asks. I nod and scan through my notes. "The new face on the court is bad news. Even just looking at him sitting on the bench made me nervous," I don't look up from my clipboard.

"His name is Kyotani, they call him Mad Dog," I prod the inside of my cheek with my tongue. "What a befitting name," I shake my head, "Anyway wild and unorthodox plays will most likely have more of an effect. But in moderation. Always keep them guessing. Aim for a one touch against Kyotani-san and Iwaizumi. Block outs for the others. Don't forget the possibility of a feint from Oikawa either. And lastly, be careful receiving or blocking any of Kyotani-san's spikes. There is no doubt in my mind that your forearms will be bruised by the end of the second set. Now go out there and keep the energy up," I finish it off louder. "OSU!" 

They return to the court with Asahi serving. And... it's out. But Oikawa's serve also goes out. Nishinoya had to duck beneath it. I observe Kyotani's obscure attacks rack up points. He disrupted the flow of Seijou. He steals spikes and intimidates his own teammates. I was right when I thought he was going to be aggressive.

But the further we get into the set, the more I see his inconsistency. He may help Seijou but he also hurts them. That's the downside of a wild card, you never know how they'll impact you.

We sub Sugawara for Tsukishima to put us at a tactical advantage. Two setter, one in the back one in the front. Sugawara switches spots with Kageyama and sets the ball. All five players run up to the net, including Kageyama. He nails it down with a straight.

~~~

We sub Yamaguchi in as a pinch server. The team tells him not to be nervous, but they're really telling themselves that. From what I heard, the pinch serve during Inter-high did not go well. I glance over to Yamaguchi but he doesn't seem nervous. He looks determined. 

"GO YAMAGUCHI!" a small cheer squad comprised of his teammates chants. He approaches the line as the whistle blows and the gym is silent. My stomach sits in my throat as he tosses it up and it sails over the net. It hits in and my stomach resumes proper position as the entire gym shouts praises. 

He slams down another service ace and goes in for another. Seijou receives it however and Iwaizumi spikes it back. Yamaguchi skids to the front and hits the ball up with his body. He wouldn't let his point streak end too quickly. Tsukishima ends the play with a block out.

I bounce my knee as I watch Yamaguchi pick up the volleyball again. This time it was short. My breath hitches as it hits the net. But I sigh in relief when it nets in. We are at match point now after Tanaka calls an out just in time. Yamaguchi got us this far with his float serves but when the ball hits our side of the court, he exeunt his stage.

The score tags back and forth between winning, tie, losing, winning and tying again. The one question running through all of our heads is if this second set will end the match. 

When Seijou takes the set, our question is answered. We'll have to stick around for another set.

~~~

When the third set starts, I wave Yamaguchi over. He perks up and jogs over. I point to the spot on the bench beside me so he wouldn't have to bend down to see me. "The second wouldn't have been so close if it wasn't for you," I end awkwardly.

"T-thanks, I guess," he returns before going back in the line of players off the court.

I turn my eyes back to the court and watch the back-and-forth game for what feels like forever. I click my pen and bounce my knee as I continuously watch the volleyball soar across the net. Amazing displays of agility and strength come from both teams and  only feel the knot in my stomach grow larger.

As the points rack up, I know that we're getting down to the wire. I force myself to watch the game and let the game play out on its own without me interfering with the flow. I keep my hand gripped to the metal bench, refusing to call a time out.

They got this. They've trained for this day. I chant in my head. But when Oikawa comes up for a serve my mind stops racing with those thoughts. He made a service ace and is now at match point. I grip the bench even firmer.

I don't realize that I zoned out until I hear the screeches of victory and a playful shove rocks me. "Wha-?" My eyes felt like satellite dishes and I look around. I see Karasuno jumping onto each other and Seijou biting their lips in anger and remorse. "We did it?!" I come to the sudden realization.

"We did it!" Ukai beams to me, slinging his arm around my shoulder. 

~~~

I couldn't help but feel bad when I saw the third years from Seijou with tears leaking from tightly shut eyes as I pass by them. I shake my head. Be glad that isn't our third years.

~~~~

A/N

WOW it has been a while since I wrote a chapter for you guys. I'm sorry I've just been so busy. You guys probably don't know but I live in the area hit by hurricane Harvey. So my school schedule started weirdly. Not even to mention that I'm a junior, color guard member, thespian, and honors student taking college classes.

I'm thinking about adding in some romance pretty soon but I can't decide who. It's between the three third years. So sound off in the comments which third year you'd like Chihiro to become 'fond' of.

~UmbrellaChild